Author Topic: Anastasia Kavanagh - nee Reese (Rees)  (Read 8506 times)

Offline OwhiroLady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anastasia Kavanagh - nee Reese (Rees)
« on: Wednesday 12 January 11 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello from New Zealand - I am looking for my ggt grandmother Anastasia Kavanagh who was born Reese or Rees. I think I have found her transportation record which states her native place as Wexford.
Two questions:
1. How and where might I find details of her marriage/birth or other events
2. How and where might I find details of her trial - the convict transportation record says she was tried in Wexford. She was transported in 1852 on the ship Midlothian.
Thanks so much
Sue

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia Kavanagh - nee Reese (Rees)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 11 08:21 GMT (UK) »
For birth records before the start of full civil registration (1864) you need to know the family religion and also the parish the family lived. Wexford the can mean the county as well as the town, so unfortunately doesn't narrow down the search area.

If Anastasia's family and marriage was non-Catholic then it might be worth trying to trace a civil marriage since these marriage were registered from 1845, although without a husbands name it might be difficult.

I dont have any information on any surviving trial records for Wexford, but it might be worth checking what newspapers were publishing in the county at the time, although items on trials in these often contain very little detail.

see :
 Introduction to Irish Records
 My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 11 08:41 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OwhiroLady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Thanks so much for the information. I believe Anastasia's husband was Patrick Kavanagh. They had a daughter Ellen who was baptised in Dublin at St Andrews n 1835 so I'm pretty certain they're Catholic. Not sure if that is any help.
Sue

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 11 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Are you certain the baptism in Dublin is for your Kavanaghs ?
It's quite a distance from Wexford..

It would mean Anastasia was born in Wexford maybe c1815, moved to Dublin and married by about 1834, then moved back to Wexford by 1852.

p.s. there are two St. Andrews in Dublin City - one of which is Church of Ireland

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
There was an Ellen Cavanagh baptised in Dublin in 1835, parents Patrick and Anastasia. Note the sponsors names http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/fb59111129250

One of the sponsors was Michael Redmond

Here is the baptism of another Anastasia Kavanagh in 1846, parents Michael Kavanagh and Maria Redmond http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/9ec9180979612

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 11 09:08 GMT (UK) »
And here is an Anastasia Kavanagh as sponsor in 1847 http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/8b235d1143463

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 11 09:16 GMT (UK) »
There was an Ellen Cavanagh baptised in Dublin in 1835, parents Patrick and Anastasia. Note the sponsors names http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/fb59111129250

I've seen that record, but unfortunately there's no maiden surname for Anastasia and the names are quite common, so not sure how that proves a connection.

A marriage would be a major clue if that could be found. Further Dublin RC records are due to be added to the IrishGenealogy website this year so if Anastasia married in Dublin, maybe details will show up there.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline OwhiroLady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 January 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I have received the death certificate for my great grandmother Ellen Burney (nee Kavanagh) who was the daughter of Anastasia Kavanagh (nee Reece) and Patrick Kavanagh. It says her place of birth was Dublin Ireland. She was 57 years old when she died in 1894 which puts her birth at somewhere around 1837. At the time of her death she had been living in NZ for 21 years but I know she spent some time in Australia because she was married in Bothwell Tasmania to an ex-convict.