Author Topic: HOOPER - convict  (Read 4900 times)

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
HOOPER - convict
« on: Thursday 13 January 11 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am after the birth information of George HOOPER, born about 1822, in Bristol, Gloucestershire and convicted of a house breaking felony, and transported to Tasmania in 1842. According to his convict records he left a mother called Anna, a brother John and two sisters Charlotte and Anna in Bristol. His address was recorded as Blackfriars Rd, Bristol.

I have been told by another researcher that he may be connected to the Clarke family, possibly a half or step brother -
John Clarke  - 31 January 1826-  Born     Bristol England moved to New Zealand.
Hannah Clarke 1829
William Clark
Mother Hannah.

In Tasmania, George gave the unusual second name of Uley to his second son, William. I would love to hear from anyone researching this family.

regards Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HOOPER - convict
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Can't seem to find them in 1841 Anna (Hannah) was probably a widow, and Charlotte and Anna jnr may have married, there is a John Hooper in Bristol with his wife and first child, but how do you prove a link?
If Uley refers to a surname then there are just two people with that name in Bristol in 1841 - Maria Uley age 40 and her daughter? Mary age 15.
A Bristol researcher might be able to help.

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 11 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to look, RCB.
 It may be possible that George changed his name to Hooper, as I can't find a possible birth record for George Hooper in the approx time or place. So I have also started looking for him under the name George Clarke.
I have found birth records in the England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 for:-
William Uley Clark: bapt - 04 Mar 1827
John Uley Clark: bapt - 04 Mar 1827
Hannah Uley Clark bapt:- 19 Jul 1829
baptism/christening place:   St. James, Bristol, Gloucester, England
father's name: William Clark
mother's name: Hannah

This family would match the description he gave ie. Mother - Anna/Hannah, Brother John, and Sister Anna/Hannah but so far no sign of a Charlotte Hooper or Clark.

Back to the drawing board.

regards Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I was in Tasmania in 2006, the day I was planning to go to the prison it snowed, it was hammering down with rain at sea level, so I went to the Hobart Museum and there's a wonderful letter on show written by the husband who's wife was transported for shop lifting, wrongly it would seem according to the letter, but they have no idea what happened, did she get the letter or answer?  She married again and lived her life in Tasmania.
Blackfriars is right in Bristol, Blackfriars street doesn't seem to exist anymore.

That family does look a close match, and Charlotte might have been the eldest and possibly illigitimate so she would have her mothers name when baptised, and almost certainly  married by the time census came along.

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

Have you considered the possibility that Hannah remarried, perhaps after the birth of George which may account for his surname as Hooper and the others, who do seem to be connected, as Clark(e).

I cannot find one in Bristol though.  Perhaps they did not marry.

Just a thought

Elizabeth

Offline ladyraven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that his wife or mothers maiden name was ULEY and the carried it on with their children. That has happenned to many of the chidren baptised in that same church.

Have a look here - http://www.frenchaymuseumarchives.co.uk/arch_parish_records.htm

My ROACH relatives married ULEY women, and their children all had ULEY as their maiden name.

There are Hoopers in that Parish so maybe a HOOPER married a ULEY.

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 January 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

there is a definite connection with the name Uley, as I have found another child of George Hooper with the middle name of Uley. There is also a small village just north of Bristol called Uley. It's finding the connection that is tricky.
I have considered that George's mother (Anna, Hannah, Ann) may have been a Uley then married or had a fling with a Hooper - had George and possibly Charlotte, then married William Clarke and had William, John and Hannah. But so far haven't found a shred of actual evidence. The only Uley/Hooper marriage I can find in the area is Thomas Hooper to Martha Uley in Winterbourne, Gloucester, they do have a child named George born 1813 but the rest of the children don't match. There is also a lack of a marriage for Hannah to William Clarke in the right area. I have found a Hannah Uley marrying William Clarke  16 Oct. 1825 which is perfect timing BUT it is in St. Augustine, Watling St Church, London!

There is also the possibility that the Uley name came from a grand parent. So I will have to find the parents of any possible Hannah's, who marry William Clarkes. Quite a challenge.

The only other information I have is that George's trade was a wood turner - is this the same as a carpenter? Were there trade directories for Bristol for the 1830's?

regards Janine

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 January 11 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

I wouldn't rule out the St Augustines church marriage in London yet.  A lot of my relatives went elsewhere (for all sorts of reasons I'm sure) to get married.  It might be an idea to try to get the full details of that marriage in order to get the father's names or occupations if given that early.  You may get a clue from the witnesses too.

The birth of George Hooper may have been illegitimate so although brought up with John Hannah and Charlotte, he retained his name of Hooper.  This doesn't reflect the mother's name being Uley though.

There are trade directories for Bristol but if he was born in 1822 it would be the 1840's directories that you would need.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Had a bit of a break through. I finally found George Hooper's death. He moved to Victoria for the last few months of his life.

On his death certificate it states he was born in Bristol, Gloucestershire and his father was George Hooper, soldier, mother Hannah Hooper, formerly Cooper. I don't know how this fits in with the Clarke family.

Unfortunately it doesn't say what type of soldier his father was. Can any one suggest a good place to search for his father's military records?

regards Janine