Author Topic: The Old St John's - Maudlin St, Kilkenny  (Read 16590 times)

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Old St John's - Maudlin St, Kilkenny
« on: Friday 14 January 11 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Please, can any one tell me anything about the Old RC Parish church of St John, Maudlin Street, Kilkenny?

It was a RC Mass House or church where my forebears, the O'Hanlons, worshipped before it was made redundant after a bequest from a local lad made good in the gold fields of Australia. He provided funds for the spectacular new one on Upper St John Street (?) a stone throw away in the early 1900s.

I wonder if there is anything left of the burial ground that surrounded it?
Any information and/or photographs would be well received.
(I have one I gleaned from a local website - it looks quite attractive - it was only about 60 years old before it was superceded. A bit sad, really.)

Thank you
James
Queensland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Old St John's - Maudlin St, Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 11 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Have just finished posting a reply on your other church query- you can use a search engine like Google to find lots of information. Here's one mention of St. John's-
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/heritage-towns/st.-johns-parish-kilkenny/church-of-saint-john-the-/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, aghadowey .....................
I have seen that site before and that is the photograph of the old St John's, I know of.
I am sure you would agree, perhaps, that the information of the old church is sadly lacking if this site is all we have to go on.
I would rather like to get hold of any historic information I can get my hands on. Apparently, there had been a mass house/chapel/church on the site for many, many years and the last one in particular where my ancestors worshipped had a limited life span given the new one was built after less than 60 years.
I wonder if the graves that surrounded the building are still there?
Thanks again
James 

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey .... just by chance I was browsing ....... and I was delighted to find an entry of your's dated August 09 (I think) and posted findings by Anna Ryan of Internment.net (cemetery records online) which ........ refer to the Old St John's cemetery in beloved Kilkenny with some info on graves located within its walls. Not a complete list yet  .... no O'Hanlons ........ but I live in hope.
Thanks for that.
James
PS I note I received email notification that a message was sent from you but found nothing new there....?
Just one of those hiccups...?

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

I was browsing the rootchat website and saw your post. I have family buried in St. Johns R.C. graveyard , St. Johns Parish, Kilkenny too.
I have some information on the graveyard. Looking at my sources I can only find one Hanlon Grave in it; as follows:
note it is Hanlon not O'Hanlon.

Erected by Michael Hanlon, Dublin Road, in memory of his son Pat Hanlon died 1857.

Other names which appear on headstones include Holahan, Holihan in the graveyard.

Best Regards Gerard
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 11 23:47 BST (UK) »
Dear Gerard

Thank you for your message - whilst not directly kinsfolk, I suspect they are related to me as by the time of the Griffith Valuation there were only a handful of of Hanlons (they seemed to drop the O' at times, strangely) living in the St John's Parish. Dublin Road of course is in the parish - but I can't seem to find Pat in the GV - perhaps he was brought home for the burial?

I leave for Europe in a couple of weeks and will visit the graveyard in about four - no doubt an interesting experience - looking forward to it.

Thanks again

James

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 April 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

Thats good to hear - hope you enjoy the visit.
The graveyard is on the Dublin Road; it should be easy to find.
Make sure you make time to visit Rothe House up on the main street. They are a local museum run by the Kilkenny Archeology Society with a lot of local publications and books for you to browse. Upstairs they have a library. If you ask in the shop they should help. You might have to pay to have access to the library but they should have a librarian who could help you look up some of the local books etc.

Best regards Gerard
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford

Offline Ohanlon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 April 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks & kind regards
James

Offline bowesonenamestudy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 February 13 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerard, Does your source of info on St. John's graveyard include any Brophys? Thanks, Martha

Hi James,

I was browsing the rootchat website and saw your post. I have family buried in St. Johns R.C. graveyard , St. Johns Parish, Kilkenny too.
I have some information on the graveyard. Looking at my sources I can only find one Hanlon Grave in it; as follows:
note it is Hanlon not O'Hanlon.

Erected by Michael Hanlon, Dublin Road, in memory of his son Pat Hanlon died 1857.

Other names which appear on headstones include Holahan, Holihan in the graveyard.

Best Regards Gerard