Author Topic: Gideon Wood  (Read 5292 times)

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gideon Wood
« on: Friday 14 January 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone might be able to  give me some information about Gideon Wood, born about 1770 in Rox. I think his father and mother were Adam Wood and Beatrix Stevenson and his sister was  Isabella Wood (1768-1845)married to John Hood (1765-1842). These are in my Hood direct line.

Many thanks in advance

Parakeet

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gideon Wood
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 11 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Adam Wood bc1740 Scotland and Beatrix Stevenson bc1740 Scotland were married 26.5.1765 at Oxnam, Rox, Scotland.
Their children:-
Isobel Wood born Kirk Yetholm, Yetholm, Rox, Scotland and christened 21.2.1768 Hownam, Roxburgh, Scotland.
Margret (sic) Wood christened 11.1.1770 at Hownam, Roxburgh, Scotland
William Wood also christened the same day as Margret 11.1.1770 at Hownam, Roxburgh, Scotland (?twins?)
Janet Wood christened 9.5.1772 at Hownam, Roxburgh, Scotland
Bettie Wood christened 5.9.1773 at Hownam, Roxburgh, Scotland
Gideon Wood christened 29.10.1775 at Hownam, Roxburgh, Scotland
John Wood christened 18.12.1779 at Hownam, Roxburgh, Scotland
Above information found on Familysearch.org
Priscilla
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Priscilla.

Any other later information about Gideon Wood would also be great. I am trying to establish if he was still in Rox. in the 1840s. 0r even if he had a son called Gideon Wood - cannot find this out. I have a marriage certificate for Alexander Hood and Isabella Turnbull in Glendale 1840 and the witness is Gideon Wood. If this  Isobel's brother then I think the Alexander Hood being married is their son.

Another family researcher of the Hood family maintains that Alexander (son of Isobel and John) went to Ayr, married there and then went to New Zealand. I don't think this is the same Alexander but I'd like to be sure.

Jacqueline

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 January 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqueline  :)

Still thinking about your Hood/Wood issue...

In your searches, have you come across the family of a Gideon Wood and Isabella? The family show here in Glendale, Northumberland in 1851 - HO107/Piece: 2422/Folio: 306/Page: 3. In 1841, the family show (mis-transcribed on the index transcription) as WACK (Gedion and Isabella) in Ladykirk, Berwickshire, Scotland.

In 1841, Gideon Wood shows as born in England, as do the rest of the family. 1851, he shows as born in Scotland (haven't followed him through to any later censuses). Likely death showing for this Gideon though in Glendale in 3rd Qrt 1882, aged 78 (from Freebmd).

Just wondering whether this Gideon could have been the witness at the marriage of Alexander and Isabella in Glendale in 1840?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 January 11 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Monica

Fantastic! Thank you so much. Am sure this is the witness. He says he was born in Shotton as well , the same as Alexander does in 1861.

Lots to go on here. Will get on with it later today after I have finished the dreaded tax return.

Thank you again.

Jacqueline

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica

Just thought I'd keep in touch about my latest efforts since your help with the censuses. I have found Gideon Wood's other census entries up till 1881 (when he was called Gideon Word!). He always insists he was born in Scotland but unhelpfully never says where. I have been on Scotland's People but they have no entries for him. In fact there are only 2 Gideons -the  one born in 1775 in Hownam and one born in 1824 in Channelkirk Berwick to William Wood and Margaret M Lambert. Spent quite a few credits looking at them but am not sure. Thought it might be Gideon Wood's brother William, but am not convinced - they did get married in 1803.

The census entries show that he did live around Kirknewton for a time at least - 2 of his children were born in Copeland. I looked on the Bishop of Durham transcripts for Kirknewton but there was nothing useful.

The other line I am thinking of is his wife Isabella.  It occurred to me that his wife might be Isabella Hood(Alexander Hood's sister) she was baptised in Yetholm in1806. On all the censuses she says she was either born in Shotton, North Shotton or Kirknewton. This would make them cousins. Do you know whether  this would have been acceptable?

Gideon Wood's children - have not been very successful with these yet. I think they probably did a lot of flitting backwards and forwards over the border, which makes it difficult. But interesting!

Jacqueline

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Jacqueline, I found no more births/christening than those that you have found. There has to be more Gideon Woods born though. I also found another one on the Canadian census (I think now from memory, 1871?) also Scottish born, with wife and family. I think three in total showed on the Canadian census but I didn't dig deep!

Also like you, couldn't get any clues as to wife Isabella's surname as I couldn't easily find a marriage for them which would help in this respect.

Monica  :)

Added: Just double checked - it wasn't a Gideon Wood but a Gideon Hood that I found in 1871, born c.1811 in Scotland - the problem when you are quoting from memory!
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 January 11 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica.

Gideon Wood born 1775 was Isabella Wood's brother. She married John Hood (1791 at Yetholm). These are in my direct line.  The first child was John - after his father(my line). The second Adam, after her father and the third, Gideon - I think after her brother. Gideon Hood followed the usual ag. lab./shepherd occupation but went to Argyll in the 1850s and became a sheep farm manager. One son went with him and did the same, ending up in Inverness. The other went to Canada - very extensive records here.  I have often tried to find Gideon Hood in Canada , near his son, because after 1861 can find nothing about him in Scotland - not even death. But have failed. Even Rootschat Inverness/Argyll cannot find him.

When I saw the Gideon Wood on Alexander Hood's marriage cert. I thought it was his uncle. Now I'm not sure - maybe it was this other Gideon Wood we have found.  I wonder if Gideon Wood 1775 died and that was why Isobel called her son after him?

I did a search on Ancestry today for Gideon Hood emigrating but it is for 1827 - Gideon Hood was still in Rox at that time.

Will keep on going because I am really hoping  to prove that my Rox. ancestors are not connected to those who went to New Zealand (not that I have anything against New Zealand - at first I was really excited but the facts got in the way. Today I noticed that somebody obviously copied some of my pictures when my tree was public and have now made them part of their private tree!

best wishes

Jacqueline

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi has the Alexander Hood who died 1873 in New Zealand's death certificate been sighted, to see if his parents are named?
I might tie in to Isabel's family and she was not born in Kirk Yetholm, her birth place and that of her siblings is given as Chatto Hill head, in Hownam Parish, if she is daughter of Adam and Beatrix
Regards Colin Whitehead