Author Topic: Brummit's Ropery Lincoln  (Read 16107 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Brummit's Ropery Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 January 11 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating story Hoppout. Any more Lincolnshire ghost stories available?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 January 11 16:51 GMT (UK) »
The 1857 directory I referrred to has the following entry for Brummitt's Ropery - of course, that's 30 years before the date of the map but "West" seems to have five houses and "East" three.  Were the latter ones the unnumbered ones?

The 1840s maps in my book show a ropery at the south side of Westgate but not the ropery houses.  The 1851 map has only the "west" houses.  The 1868 map has both east and west.

The directory gives Mary Ann BALL as a beer retailer at the Struggler (sic) .

The modern pub sign seems to depict an interpretation of what hoppout has described http://tinyurl.com/5rk3n6c

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 January 11 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether the ropes used in executions at Lincoln castle were made at Brummitts? I think possible due to its proximity to the castle. Anyone know?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline hoppout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 January 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Geoff.

Thomas Roberts and his wife Ann, the parents of William Roberts, are listed in the 1851 census as living at 1, Brummitt's Ropery. I will try and find another ghost story, Redroger.

Offline hoppout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 January 11 18:05 GMT (UK) »
For redroger

The quest was a simple: To locate the Lincoln inn managed by my gt-gt-grandmother more than a century ago. It led me to a famous Steep Hill address, once upon a time named after a trophy winning racehorse, and a ghostly photographic image of a woman looking out of an upper floor window.

The building and that same bow window, which is still to be seen in the 21st  century, is now Browns Pie Shop and Restaurant, recently visited by Josie Thurston, executive editor of this august magazine, who sampled its fare after the restaurant’s success in winning a cuisine award.

My visit to the premises almost two years ago was less successful from a culinary point of view, merely because  I found the restaurant closed . I was with my wife and our 20-years-old American granddaughter, a history student  who was on holiday with us in Ipswich.  Our visit to Lincoln was part of a historical tour, so we were disappointed to find 33 Steep Hill in darkness.

We were about to leave the area when I noticed the shadow of someone moving around at the back of the premises. On impulse, I knocked on the door and a young woman came to see what I wanted. I explained that by great-grandmother, Mary Clayton, had been the publican for several years when the building was the Fox & Hounds Inn. 

“We have a photograph of the Fox and Hounds,” she announced, “I will get it for you to look at.” She returned with a very large framed black and white photograph looking down Steep Hill from near the top of the road, propped it up on the counter and allowed me to take a digital snap of it.

It was not until I returned home and enlarged by photograph on the computer that I discovered the image of a woman  looking out on to the street from the upper floor window - the same bow window to be seen in the 21st century.

Could the woman, who appeared to be wearing a large hat, be a guest at the inn, or perhaps my great grandmother? I wonder…I have no photograph of her to be sure.
Sorry, I have been told the photo cannot upload because of time

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating story Hoppout. Any more Lincolnshire ghost stories available?

Roger if its Lincoln Ghost stories you’re after visit this site http://tinyurl.com/6axaqby

it lists not only the Strugglers but also Browns Pie Shop.

Alan
Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Geoff thank you for finding the maps showing both East and West Brummitts Ropery. previously like you I could only find ‘The Ropery’ listed on the 1842 map in my copy of ‘Town Plans of Lincoln’ but this doesn’t surprise me because in the late 1830’s to the mid 1840’s the land on which the castle dyke or moat stood from half way along Union Road to a point at the far end of the Ropery in West Gate was highly sort after.

The Likes of John Brummitt, Philip Ball, Hardwicke, Dawber, Marshall and others, all Lincoln business men, were buying parcels of the Dyke filling it in and building premises for their various small industries and also for cheap housing and in the case of Ball he also wanted to build a summerhouse for his family.  ;D

John Brummitt who indeed owned the Rope Works in Westgate also owned vast amounts of land in and around Bailgate and I believe the family were quite prosperous.

Alan

Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Alan

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
This is what you need Roger http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0715397834/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I got mine from a library clearance sale a few years ago.  Quite a few of them are Lincs happenings  :o
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.