Author Topic: Kent gypsy  (Read 58669 times)

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
Re: Kent gypsy
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
hi there david1966 ,
just noticing the names in your family elvi, genty, frank, naiomi. these are quite traditional buckley names, so they have a connection with them and also the essex area is a favourite with the buckleys ??? you never know :)

hi also romany knaves
similar thing with the name genty/jenty, in the buckley line they use the spelling with the "g" not the " j" and ending with "y" or "i" just ot make it more complicated :)
i have a bignell married to a buckley, let meknow if you need the details and i will dig them out and list them for you  8)
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 July 12 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

would this be the Emmetts of funfair fame that your Mum was related to?

I think Keith Emmett and Sons are still in business, based near Milton Keynes.

You might like to buy a copy of "The Family Trees of Damon and Thomas LEE" compiled by Eric Trudgill as there's Emmetts in the 1840s to 1880s on the tree showing the children of Isaac LEE and Lydia THATCHER. Isaac appears to be a brother of Thomas. The Emmett baptisms shown are all in Kent.

It's available from the Romany and Traveller Family History Society http://www.rtfhs.org.uk/

Hope this is useful info.

My mums name was Lilly Millen/Smith, after marriage. Although dead now (2006) she was also related to to the Emits and Hildens in some way.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline David1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 July 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
Oh hi, this is Dave. Thank you for mentioning about the Buckley family and also the book that I am advised to get.
I will look into it.
In the meantime if you know of any other information, please let me know :)
Thank you very much to everybody that has helped.
Kind Regards,
David Johnson :)

Offline tilly123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all the tips really helpful. I haven't been on here in ages, wasn't ignoring you all.

my granny & granfather was bignells ...george & genty there lived in corkes pit st mary cray ..there had 10 children...8 boys & 2 girls...the old woman(genty)also lived on belvedere marshes ....her name before she got married was lee

Thanks i wasn't aware she lived at the marshes. They were my great great grandparents. Their son George married Florence and had my granddad James. I think they all still lived at corkes pit till they had my dad. Heard a rumor there were more than the 8 children i knew about. I heard there were 13?

Offline tilly123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, your granddad Jimmy was my cousen, the tree on ancestry is mine, if you are interested in knowing more let me know

Offline Kuri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 02:45 BST (UK) »
 :DHi Tilly,

I see that you have downloaded some photos I put on Ancestry. I am related to James James born 1873 and his wife Alvinea Eastwood Breeds born 1876, they were my Gt. Grandpareants. Their eldest daughter Mary Ann was my grandmother. So how are we (I persume we are) related. Regards Carol. 8)
Breeds  Cakebread Coshall  Dunmall Ellis Eastwood Evenden James Kent  and Sears all in the Kent Area. Also Freestone and James in Cambridgeshire.

Offline tilly123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Elvinia eastwood is a relation of my grandfather George Bignell B.1888 not sure how close relation wise, and James james is a relation on my son in-laws family,  Quite a large family of James in area and mostly with same names very confusing. My son in-laws (2 ) both share the same grandmother Brittania James.   George Bignells mother was Phyllis Eastwood, hope I havent confused you.   regards, tilly

Offline Pete_Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 April 13 09:05 BST (UK) »

Hi,

If you go by the two spellings of the surname Bignall and Bignell, Free BMD shows the following children all born in Kent mostly Dartford, mothers surname Lee.

George Bignall 1912 Dartford
Walter Bignall 1920 Strood
Mary J Bignall 1925 Dartford

Ted Bignell 1914 Dartford
Wainess J Bignell 1916 Dartford
Phylliss Bignell 1918 Dartford
William Bignell 1923 Dartford
Jack Bignell 1927 Maidstone
Leonard Bignell 1931 Dartford
Charles Bignell 1934 Dartford

Regards
Lyne

I believe Wainess Bignell was killed by a German bomb which landed on Corkes Meadow (aka Corkes Pit), Leesons Hill, St Paul's Cray, on the night of the 4th and 5th November 1940.

He was listed at the time, by the Metropolitan Police, as Waynus Ley [typo for Lee]. These incorrect details were then passed to the Commonwealth War Graves commission which records his death at http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/3114799/

There were three other casualties, at Corkes Meadow:

Edward Ley [Lee], husband of Annie, aged 58
Benjamin Eastwood, aged 65
Charlotte Baker, aged 9, daughter of William and Phoebe Baker

I also have a number of wounded travellers, in the same incident, including:
Frank Baker, aged 16, flesh wounds
Olley Buckley, aged 55, leg wound
Henry Eastwood, aged 16, leg wound
Harry Brown, aged 39, shrapnel wound
William Brown, age not stated, cuts and bruises
Henry Friend, age not stated, lacerated thigh
William Bunn (also recorded as William Brown), aged 2, fractured skull

The above were treated at the Orpington Hospital.

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows anything more about this tragedy, which affected the Kent Gypsy community, of which I can find very little.

Offline LisaJacobs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 13 May 13 00:40 BST (UK) »
My great nan was Olive Eastwood, her father was Arthur Eastwood (1888 - 1967) and her mum was Harriet Willson (1892 - 1964) from Kent. Arthur was born in Liverpool.

I'm interested in looking for any Perfects / Birds / Stanleys from the Chatham area. They were gypsy relatives of mine and I've been having a bit of trouble tracing them. My great nan was Eliza Jane Perfect, her dad was Charles Leonard Perfect (1877 - 1919) and her mum was Elizabeth Bird (1878 - 1946) As far as I'm aware they lived in the Kent area their whole lives, souly around Chatham