Author Topic: Which Betty Chadderton?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Which Betty Chadderton?
« on: Sunday 16 January 11 02:43 GMT (UK) »
My Betty Chadderton of Oldham shows on a 1841 census with her 2 children that were born out of wedlock, and living with her second son in 1851, and then she disappears.  I have had no success finding her death date.

I am trying to find which Betty of the 3 children with same name born 1811-1813 would be her.

The parents names were James & Esther (1811), Joseph & Sarah (1813) and Joseph and Ann (1810).

I thought if I found all Betty marriages from say 1828-1838 I could discover the parents names and eliminate the Betty's that married.  It is possible that Betty married after 1851 too.

I have 14 Sep 1835 Betty Chadderton married George Burgess (film# 1656119, p287) or 06 Mar 1837 Betty Chadderton married William Wild (film# 1545714).  Can anyone look at these films and tell me the parents names so I can eliminate the wrong Betty's - or can a more advanced family history buff give me some more ideas on how I can find my Betty?

Thanks so much,

Rick Chadderton
Names: angus, arnold, chadderton, colley, farrow, fletcher, hobson, hyde, lees, pyle, roberts, swindells

Areas:  Oldham, Aberdeen (Scot) & Otley Yorks

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Betty Chadderton?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 January 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Before the start of civil registration on 1 July 1837 the fathers of the bride and groom were not shown on the marriage entry. Unfortunately finding the marriage entries for the 2 Bettys will not give the info you want. I'd look for a marriage of a Betty or Elizabeth after 1851 when you last see her. Have you one of the children's marriages? If yes what is given in the father's space?

Gibel

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Can you list all the details on the 1851 census. It helps to search around the area for relatives.

What were her children called?

Margaret

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 January 11 13:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a likely burial in 1814 for the Betty Chadderton daughter of Joseph & Sarah:

St Peters Oldham, 14 March 1814
Betty Chadderton age 1, daughter of Joseph Chadderton
Abode, Hollinwood, occupation coalminer

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RonOne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 January 11 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I have 14 Sep 1835 Betty Chadderton married George Burgess (film# 1656119, p287)

George Burgess (Mason of Oldham) and Elizabeth Chadderton (Spinster of Oldham)
Married by Banns, 14 Sep 1835 at St Mary, Oldham
Witnesses: Abram Jackson and Edward Travis
The details can be found on: www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 January 11 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for you assistance, I feel I am getting closer!

In response to your various questions, Betty's children were Joseph (1827) and John (1831) both born in Oldham.  I have both their marriage certificates and the father was Edward Lees (this is another research project).

In 1841 the family were living with John Robinson and his wife but I do not know the relationship with them.  Betty was listed as 30yrs.  In 1851 she was at Barker St, Oldham with John but listed as a widow(?) and now she was only 36yrs.  Joseph's census location was in the unfilmed section/lower Moor, Oldham (I have this too).  In 1861 Betty was no longer living with John and I haven't been able to find her from there.

BarbaraH - thanks for your help we can probably eliminate Joseph and Sarah as parents.

Regards to all,  Rchadz
Names: angus, arnold, chadderton, colley, farrow, fletcher, hobson, hyde, lees, pyle, roberts, swindells

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 January 11 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.  Another contributor sent me some other births for Betty Chadderton (spinster) - Elizabeth b. 1824 and Mary b Jun 1835 d Sep 1835.

Can anyone tell me how likely this situation would be - i.e. Betty born 1811, having her eldest in 1824?

Regards,  Rchadz

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 January 11 08:06 GMT (UK) »
She may not necessarily have  been Christened as a baby because I've found Christenings of whole families with the children's ages ranging from 2 to 14. I would go with an approximate age from the 1851 +/- 3 or 4 years.

Margaret