Author Topic: YEATES  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: YEATES
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I have noted on the link I sent you regading the Steyning Workhouse which was at 2 Uppper Shoreham Road, states that the following records have been transferred to East Sussex Recoord Office.

East Sussex Record Office, The Maltings, Castle Precincts, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1YT. Holdings include Guardians' minutes (1835-1930); Births register (1914-1930); Deaths register (1890-1930); Inmates register (1882-1930); Admissions and discharges (1903-30);

Having discovered that various members of your Yeates and Lowe families may have been in that establisment at various times, and that Olga was actually born there, I have highlighted those items which may prove useful.

Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 06:51 GMT (UK) »
A colleague tells me that there are numerous G Yeates & Yates in the Brighton & Hove Street Directories (1930-1950) so it is most difficult to know which could be yours.  You have given us the Shakespere Street address, was that from Olga's 1946 marriage certificate, and do you know of any other family addresses that may help us trace the family further back?
Roy G

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 January 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »

Hi
   Sorry for delay been away.
    The Shakespear address was on birth certificate.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 January 11 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Between 1949-1970 number 27 Shakespeare Street Hove was lived in by some unmarried sisters with the unusual surname of Bickers.   
Does that name mean anything to you?
Roy G

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 January 11 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry that name is unkown .
  I know Violet Lowe was from Fulham born around 1909.
  How she came to be in Sussex ? .Mum had aunts who ran a Hotel /B&B in Hove ,
   Also had a step grand father who was s jew call Goldsmith/Goldstien he was a cobbler in Hove or Portslade ,The only street I know of was WEST ST.Portslade ,
   But Violet married ? again ? to some one call Alfred Ford.I know a lot of that family as I still hear from them but info about Yeates seems to be minimal!
          Thanks anyway   P.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 January 11 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Violet married Alfred G Ford in 1934, so Olga was about 7 by then.  If freeBMD is correct, The Fords then flitted between Worthing and Brighton (1935-1941) and 3 half sisters and one half brother were born.  By 1949, the Fords were living at 17 West Street, Portslade.

As George was still alive and you have found no marriage, or papers suggesting a marriage between him and Violet was dissolved, it seems highly probable that they never actually got married in the first place.  If you couple that with Olga's birth in the parish workhouse, often the only option for unwed pregnant girls, it adds credence to that line of thought.
Roy G

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 January 11 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yep one sister died very young still a baby I think.
    I know the brothers one still alive in Australia and one sister still in Sussex.
     Some said that the son of George ran the fruit stalls after he died wonder if that was Rey Yeates previously mentioned I know the son died few years back .

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 January 11 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Your last text suggests that when you briefly met your grandfather in later years he was married.  FreeBMD has two possible marriages, one prior to Olga's birth in 1925, the other in 1929.  The maiden name of the mother of Roy the greengrocer (born 1928) was not Violet's or from either of those unions, so it is certain there is no connection to him through your maternal line.
Roy G

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 January 11 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks I shall press on .