Author Topic: YEATES  (Read 4870 times)

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
YEATES
« on: Sunday 16 January 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »

Hi
    Looking for info on my grandfather GEORGE YEATES married VIOLET LOWE.
    Had one daughter Olga. born 28/05/1927.Married in Shoreham I think.
    My mothr said he ran fruit stalls in Brighton .

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: YEATES
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 January 11 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat,

Do you have your grandfathers marriage certificate to Violet Lowe which will give you his fathers name and occupation then you will be able to trace him back through the census's.

I cant seem to find a marriage anywhere, do you have any other information on him that might help  ??? i.e where and when born

I can see Olga's birth.......  Olga J.E Yeates June q. 1927 Steyning, Sussex mothers maiden name Lowe.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 January 11 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I think I recall a Roy Yeates fruit & Veg stall either in or at the entrance to Brighton's open market.   He was recorded as having lived in Newick Road (My Brighton website) and may have died in September 2006 (Argus memoriums Yeates & Yates).

I also see on FreeBMD that your Olga was an only child, and the Genes website has someone (perhaps you) giving Olga's birthplace as Littlehampton which is in the East Preston district not Steyning.  So do you have a copy of the birth cert to sort that out, if not, perhaps you should get one.

Another curious thing is that there are two slightly earlier sequential Yeates births also in the East Preston area (1923 & 1925) but with a mother's maiden name of Cartwright.  The son Ernest, born 1925, died soon after his birth, but another person on Genes is interested in the daughter born earlier. 

Thinking there was some connection and Olga's mother may have been a second wife, I looked for the Yeates - Cartwright marriage, or the death in the area of a female Yeates of child bearing age between the years 1925-1927, but neither could not be found.  

So presuming George and Violet were more than just partners, the other alternative was that there is a deadspot as far as the FreeBMD records are concerned, and in consequence, you need to have a closer inspection of the master index produced by the GRO.
Roy G

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 January 11 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for speedy reply
    My mothers birth certificate .Has George Yates occupation as Hawker.
   But I know he ran a fruit stall as a child I was introduced to him at his stall.
    I think it was in London Rd.this was in early 60s. He did marry again ?
     I have noticed various Yeates still in the fruit trade and was wondering if they are related.I shall post more once I dig out mums paper work ,sadly she passed away 10/10/20.

P.

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 January 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »

Me again .
  forgot to say mums was Olga J.E. Lowe.

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 January 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Unless he fathered Olga at quite a young age, George probably appears in the 1911 census. There are six people of that name in Brighton / Steyning districts ranging in age from 9 months to 36 years. Three more are in East Preston, the youngest being 28.

How old was he when he died?

All this is from a quick check of the 1911 index at the following website.

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 January 11 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry I never realy had any contact with him.
     I think he died early 80s.
    Found mums birth certificate .
  BORN 28TH MAY 1927
  FATHER   GEORGE YEATES       "HAWKER.
  MOTHER VIOLET YEATS      FORMERLY LOWE.
   ADDRESS OF BIRTH  2 UPPER SHOREHAM RD.  KINGSTON BY SEA,SHOREHAM BY SEA.
  Not where I was told .
  Thy stayed at this address     27 Shakespeare St   hove .
  My dads still alive but memeory not so good but he says he definately ran a fruit stall in Brighton .

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry more questions rather than answers

When putting a rough age to George, could you also tell us if the person on Genes called P*  McE* is you?  If so, how did your statement that you thought Olga may have been born in Littlehampton come about?

As it is, a Hawker is a good clue because quite a number of them were travelling people with no fixed place of residence, and little respect for convention.  Sub text to that is that George may have taken a wife rather than officially marrying one.  So was Violet's family from a similar travelling/hawking background, and have you any idea of her year of birth?  There are a number of Lowe children in the Steyning parish workhouse in 1911, perhaps another possible connection.  And before you clasp your hand over your mouth in horror, the official address of Steyning parish workhouse was 2 Upper Shoreham Road, where your Olga Yeates was born.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Steyning/Steyning.shtml

Your mother's marriage was in Hove in 1946, does that certificate give any more info about her father, and were the witnesses from the Yeates family?

Another line of enquiry is the history of the Brighton Open Market (1920s) which established itself just off the London Road in Oxford Street and The Level.  Many stall holders were Barrow Boys, not too much of a transition for a former hawker.  Some of those original market families are still in the fruit and veg trade, (Pat Mears, Charlie Gillam, the Jenkins boys) so it may be worth your while to also try to make contact with their parents if they are still about. 

Roy G

Offline ppewan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 January 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The littlehampton was my mistake .