Author Topic: Planning a Family Reunion  (Read 982 times)

Offline rosanne

• RootsChat Member
  • Just keep looking
    • View Profile
Planning a Family Reunion
« on: Saturday 16 April 05 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am planning to have a family reunion this October and want to get advice from you about how I should prepare for this even. I am about to send out invites in the next week or two. I want to show family members what I have found and also to see what they can add to what I have already. I have lined up a venue which is a hall in the middle of a park with a fenced in area for small children. That way I am covered for inclement weather but can spill out into the park if we want to. I am thinking of getting everyone to bring something to share. I want to have some system for collecting information from people and making corrections or additions to my information. I would love to get photos and names. Any suggestions?
Rosanne
Maxwell, Kidson, Beckett, Byrne, Knight, Jeavons, Bitheway, Ellow, Ganly....Greater London and surrounds also Ireland

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a Family Reunion
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 05 11:19 BST (UK) »

What about :

Handout copies of what you have already - chatty but
  informative for relatives to amend and hand back

Large noticeboard with/for photos/information - you will be
  amazed at what then is remembered  - childhood stories etc

Photocopier/scanner for photos - your and theirs

Have a wonderful day !!!
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 05 13:15 BST (UK) »
How about a 'Memory Book', where you can encourage family members to jot down significant (and insignificant) memories of people in your tree?

If you have access to Powerpoint, then you could prepare a slie show of someof your key findings, and either have it projected on a wall in a continuous loop, or showing on a laptp in a corner.

Sounds like you'll have a great time!

Paul

Offline rosanne

• RootsChat Member
  • Just keep looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 05 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I had thought of having a wall chart but I love your idea of a projected chart/s of some kind! I had though I would like to get people  to write stuff down or even to copy their photos on the spot with a computer and scanner but is this too time consuming on the day? Would people prefer to mingle and chat with each other rather than sit down and write. Also with photoes etc how could I write down what the photos were of etc?
Has anyone had experience of this sort of occasion?
Rosanne
Maxwell, Kidson, Beckett, Byrne, Knight, Jeavons, Bitheway, Ellow, Ganly....Greater London and surrounds also Ireland

Paul E

« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 05 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosanne

I came across this website recently

http://www.familyagenealogygame.com/Family_Reunion_Ideas.html

and thought of you!

cheers

Paul

Offline rosanne

• RootsChat Member
  • Just keep looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 05 13:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul,
Interesting site. Thanks for thinking if me.
Rosanne

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 05 19:50 BST (UK) »
Alcohol.