Author Topic: ROWSE, ROUSE, ROWS  (Read 1225 times)

Online mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROWSE, ROUSE, ROWS
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 May 19 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Janey - thank you for this offer.
I do have some information on the Rowses of Brixton & Wembury, including Elizabeth, daughter of James and Sarah (Tolcher) b. approx 1824, who married Robert Scoble, as they appear in the marvellous book "A genealogy of the Rouses of Devon".
If you have any loose ends I may be able to help.
Rowse in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
I do have some information on the Rowses of Brixton & Wembury, including Elizabeth, daughter of James and Sarah (Tolcher) b. approx 1824, who married Robert Scoble, as they appear in the marvellous book "A genealogy of the Rouses of Devon".

Your mention of the name Tolcher caught my eye. I have a great great aunt called Emma Tolcher Bowden, Tolcher being a Christian name in this instance, though almost certainly derived from a surname. She died in 1830 at the age of 5, and didn't of course leave any descendants. This is the only Tolcher in my records, apart from a very recent one from this century, when a third cousin acquired it as a married name. I've long been puzzled as to where the Tolcher came from in Emma Tolcher Bowden's name -- why did her parents choose it in 1825? She was born in Alverstoke, Hampshire, but her father, William Bowden, was from Devon. Her mother, née Elizabeth Browning, was, I think, from Hampshire. Some time ago I asked on the Hampshire board for suggestions, of which the most useful was that Tolcher might have been the surname of a godparent and not necessarily a relation at all.

Your date about "approx 1824" is also suggestive. Anyway, does your source mention any Tolcher who married a Bowden?
Cornish (Devon)
Bowden (Cornwall, Devon)
Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire)
Karslake (Devon)
Duncan (Ireland)
Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire)
McMurtry (Ireland)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 May 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
Athel_cb
Sorry no..... the book is a genealogy of the ROWSE name, and this thread also pertains to that surname.

Sarah Tolcher only crops up in this conext because she married a Rowse.
Rowse in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 May 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Well yes, I realized that your main interest was in the Rowses, but I though there might be a little more about the Tolchers all the same. Maybe someone else knows about them.
Cornish (Devon)
Bowden (Cornwall, Devon)
Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire)
Karslake (Devon)
Duncan (Ireland)
Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire)
McMurtry (Ireland)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 May 19 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I’ll have a proper look this evening and see if I have any gaps. In addition to Robert Scoble marrying Elizabeth Rowse I also have brothers John Wood Scoble and Richard Hake Scoble marrying two Rowse sisters: Jane and Mary Ann (daughters of a Martin Rowse).

I don’t know how Elizabeth is related to Jane and Mary Ann, but I bet they are somewhere. I started to look at this as it was so interesting, but when I found there were two people in Brixton both called Martin Rowse (at the same time) I put it aside. Usually I don’t get too engrossed in the “married in” people in my tree, but Brixton has good parish records and I got sucked in.

Judging by what I did find, I reckon that half of Brixton must have been a Rowse or a Scoble in the early 1800s 😊
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Online mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 May 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
Janey H

I guess it is probable that far enough back the Edward Langman Rowse family of BRIXHAM , (or that of Josiah Rowse the baker of Brixham,) may have been connected to the Rowse families of Cornwall and Brixton across the Tamar into Devon.

However, so far I have not found any connection, and it is necessary not to confuse the two places, by remaining aware they are the homes of entirely different family trees.

I have read that the derivation for the name stems from the Norman French for russet, as in red hair, so the family connections may, in fact, be no stronger than that.  :-\