Author Topic: BUCKLAND  (Read 4497 times)

Offline taevs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BUCKLAND
« on: Monday 17 January 11 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my ggrandmother was a Romany gypsy who married a non gypsy. Her name was Elsie Buckland, she married Arthur Thompson. Her parents were Florence and Terrence Buckland, and all I know of them is what the 1911 census tells me - Terrence was a licensed hawker, born in Plymouth 1886. Florence was born in Walsall 1888. They had two children when the census was taken - Elsie and Elva both born in Darlaston.
Their address is down as - Caravan Dangerfield Lane Wednesbury, and on the original document the number of rooms is listed as a 1 room caravan.

Doe anybody have any info on this family? There is no marriage records and no further census records so it is a nightmare to trace! Thanks in advance.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: BUCKLAND
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A copy of Elva's birth cert will at least give you Florence's maiden name

Births December qtr 1905 
Elva Buckland  Dudley  6c 43

I have just checked the free 1911 index and that Elva does not match to Terrence & Florence
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
hi teavs, as a romany, i tend to know more of the oral side of traveller history,  i know the buckland family. they are lots in scotland, and down south. records can be hard to trace as romanyfolk can change name, and do not like to give info to anyone. if you have a area that you know they lived in try the parishes around, them.as travellers tend to stick to a county. plus most travellers get their children baptised as soon as possible after birth, and tend to use the same church. both catholic and protestant,so check all parish records,marriage and deaths for the name. and remember romany folk tend to winter in the same place each year. and some rented houses. also there is a site i give to lots of people to search, it is romanygenes, it has bucklands and other gypsy type familys and links that can help, good luck..rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi taevs
I am a buckland its possible we could be related as I have family past and present associated with Devon & Cornwall

What made me post is that my Grt Grt grandad was I beleive christened Terence and it became Tenant, its not same person you are looking for because he went to america and died there, but I have I think possibly found your Terence death reg ......
listed under Tenant its not a very much used name

A ..Tenant Buckland died 1929 aged 44 Walsall Staffordshire  6b 1232
his age fits with your birth date `1886 out only by one year

There is also a Edward Tenant Buckland born 1911 -died 1994 -aged 82
Wolverhampton- just a thought could it be another child

these are bucklands listed on 1911 census I think you need to research them more I would presume as families tended to travel together they must be a family link
I think its possible Thomas b 1851 could be the father and the older men his sons ..
So terence could have brothers Thomas & James

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

For guidance on 1911 census, please see here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355484.0.html

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taevs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 11 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, Tiggi I was wondering could Terrence be related to Thomas and James, the only thing confused me was the fact James is the same age as Terrence (25) but Terrence was born in Devon and James in Leicester?!?
Am finding this family very hard to trace, there seems to be barely any record of Terrence/Tenant b1886!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 January 11 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
you have two similar threads here taaevs, but I am posting here because of the reference to Tenant.
There may be something here for you to follow up.

1881 RG11; Piece: 2217; Folio: 137; Page: 55

has a Tenant Buckland 63 yrs b Bristol with a large family in Tavistock.

I think these are the same people that tiggi is referring to - there are Smiths with them and a son Nelson.

1891 RG12; Piece: 1807; Folio 32; Page 10
St Germans Cornwall
Tenant is much younger and born in a different place but has same wife and children.
No one born about 1886 though  :-\

regards
heywood

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 January 11 15:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth which may be worth looking into:

1st quarter  1879 Plympton St Mary Vol 5b pg 252

Tenet Buckland  

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 January 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heywood
The 1881  & 1891 Census is my own family who although dates vary went to live in USA
So I know its not Taevs family line
The Smiths were kin as Edith & Wisdom were Tenant daughter and husband

Taevs I agree your line is very hard to trace......
I think you must work on this census and people  * all  * mentioned and try and trace them back looking for clues
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 January 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello tiggi,

I found a site - I think maybe yours or one that you contributed to, with lots of your family and their trips to USA- absolutely fascinating.  :)

Do you know anything about the 1879 birth?

heywood