Author Topic: Quelch Family - Weedon (Bec)???  (Read 13517 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Quelch Family - Weedon (Bec)???
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Possible from FreeREG;
Harriett MILLER, Baptised 06 September 1810, St Peter and St Paul, Nether Heyford, Northamptonshire
Parents, JOHN/ANNE
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline southistle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census for Weedon is lost - probably never to be seen again!

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Woohoo!!!  Way to go Trish!!!  ;D  (I'll get back to you in a minute).

Dear Southistle......WAH! :'( .  Bunny pout at lost census!  Will have to work on something there.  Maybe wave my ears for better census reception or something.  A big thank you for letting me know so I don't go mad looking there.

Anyway..back to your finds Trish.  Thanks so much for the 1871 data.  It's very interesting and at least confirms James and Mary.  As for this other Mary.... :o.  That might take some sorting out.  Hum.  Put in bunny cage for later.  Okay so by 1871 William the father was departed of this life.  Will note that down.  Lovely to know that Rebecca got married!  Goodness knows how she ended up in Warwickshire (must look at map to see where it is).

Believe with all my fur that William the child of 1845 was also in London during the 1871 census as he married my gggm Ellen Archer on 7 July 1872 at St Mary's, Lambeth district.   So I wonder where he was hanging out??  (Oh fiddle, have found entry for marriage on 4 August 1872...genealogy drives you nuts sometimes)

And where was his brother Thomas and his sister Elizabeth??  More questions than whiskers!

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Okay I've managed to find two marriage records for an Elizabeth Quelch with father William Quelch.  First one marries James Joy on 27 February 1859 at St Mary's in Surrey, and the second marries Thomas Foster on either 6 October 1867 or 26 October 1868 (can you believe there are two entries for the same people for different dates???).

Could someone please check if an Elizabeth Joy or Elizabeth Foster was born in Weedon, Northants approx 1838?

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Offline maggie49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 October 11 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi to everyone discussing Quelch, Weedon family.  I have just caught up with the chat, however can add the following.
William Quelch (b. 1845) and his wife Ellen (nee Archer) emigrated to New Zealand, lived in Auckland, and had the following children : William James (1873-1934), Thomas Henry (1875-1876), Thomas (1876-) Harry Percy (1878-1879), Harriet Ellen My grandmother (199--1927), Harry Archibald (1882-1950), and Sydney Herbert (1885-1971).  Harriet Ellen married my grandfather, Frederick Harry Jenner, who was born in Cranbrook, Kent.  They had one son, my father, Ronald Frederick Jenner, born 12 July 1918 in Auckland, and died 6 May 2002.

Both William and Ellen are buried in Waikumete Cemetery in Auckland.  There are still Quelch family members living in Auckland.

Hope this is helpful to anyone interested.

Cheers
Margaret

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 October 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Margaret,

Blimey!  You're my COUSIN!!!!  Welcome to the family!!  That can mean our family or the Rootcshat family - we are all one in genealogy!  :D

Thank you so much for giving me the name and dates of your father.  I hadn't managed to find any children from Harriet and Frederick as of yet.  Thomas Quelch is my great grandfather.  Do you know that my dad and I didn't know that Thomas had any other brothers and sisters apart from William James.  So it was a shock to find all the other kids.  I'm still trying to prove the family story that Uncle Bill (Thomas' son William) told me that William Quelch was an alcoholic who used to sell the furniture when he wanted drink money, and that Ellen used to lock him out of the house.  So one night he froze to death on the porch after coming home drunk and finding the door locked.  :D

Where do you live Margaret?  I'm in Wellington!

Maybe you can help me with one question - do you know any information about Ellen Archer apart from her dates and where she is buried?  This is before I go and get the cert from the UK.

Cheers
Bunny 8)
(hopping around happy to have a new cousin!!!)
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Offline maggie49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 October 11 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there - so pleased to know that we have some relations, especially in NZ.  I live in Auckland, and have 2 older brothers - one in Auckland and 1 in Huntly.
Harriet also had a daughter before she married my grandfather - born Myrtle Eva Quelch - I have the birth, marriage and death certificates for her, and she is buried in Tuakau cemetery under the name Myrtle Eva Filmer (she married twice).
Harriet died when my father was 8, and he went to live with William and his wife Rose in Devonport, Auckland, for a year until his father remarried.  William and Rose had a number of children also, and most, if not all, of William and Ellen's children are buried in Auckland.  I can give you places, dates etc at a later date, as I am at work at present.

The stories about William are Ellen are correct.  William had a shop in/around Pitt St in Auckland, and sold birds.  He was an alcoholic, and when he ran out of money he would go home and take some of the furniture and sell it.  He died in hospital after he came home one night and Ellen refused to let him inside, so he slept on the front porch and caught pneumonia. 

We have some photos of both William & Ellen, one of William with a bird on his shoulder outside the shop.

Cheers
Margaret 

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 October 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Oh wow, it's so good to hear about people I've grown up only knowing as names.  I would love to know more about the family and especially see if I can obtain copies of the certs.  I had to get William Quelch's death cert as I had no idea just where he had come from.  I have managed to find a few Quelches about the Auckland area but that's mostly through use of the web.  I had found Myrtle Eva (number 1) but wasn't sure if she was Harriet's.  Would love to hear more about that story!

I would really love to see photos of the family!  I can't believe that you have some!!  That's so awesome!  I really must see if I can find a better photo of Thomas than I have - it's a paper photocopy and not very good either.

Big hugs to you,

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
McKinley - N.Ireland

Offline maggie49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Bunny

It is so good to hear from someone who obviously has heard some family stories, as Dad was only 8 when Harriet died, so didn't hear a lot about the family as he grew older, although he did stay in contact with some of them.
Harry Archibald (one of Harriet's brothers) married Martha Elizabeth on 11 August 1905, and had a daughter born in 1906 (I think) who was also called Myrtle Eva, so I am not sure which one you have picked up on.  Harriet's daughter was born on 30 December 1899, and Dad could remember her visiting the house before his mother died.  He never knew who the father was, but could remember visiting a car-body shop (the old equivalent of a panelbeater, I think), around Pitt St in Auckland, and always being welcomed as if he was one of the family.  He always felt that maybe one of the sons was Myrtle's father. He always remembered how much Myrtle looked like Harriet.  I have a very old photo album which was given to Harriet by Tom, who was apparently her favourite brother, which has some photos of family members, and I also have Harriet's wedding photo.  Myrtle was brought up by Arthur Joseph McKeon aqnd Cecelia McKeon (nee Quelch), obviously a family member but none of the family that I know seem to know who she was).  Do you have any information on Cecelia? 
I can give you copies of the certs I have, and would be interested to see the information you have.   
It would be great if we could meet sometime, and you could see photos etc, and I would love to meet a relative, as we do not have a lot of them in my family.
Cheers
Margaret