Author Topic: Thoroughgood in Brighton  (Read 6656 times)

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thoroughgood in Brighton
« on: Tuesday 18 January 11 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chatters

Firstly thanks for looking - I really need some help here.

I'm looking for William Thoroughgood or Thorogood b. 1814 in Brighton according to Australian certs of his that I have. He may also have married locally before coming to Australia. Once in Australia he married Elizabeth Singleton in 1862, and died in Stockton NSW in 1891.

I have no documented details of his parents - his marriage cert is frustratingly sparse of anything really useful, as is his death cert. The only consistent snippet I have is that his occupation was that of a blacksmith.

Many thanks in advance.  :) :)

Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thoroughgood in Brighton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 08:20 GMT (UK) »
In all probability the place was Brighton, but I have found nothing as yet.  There was however, a William Thorogood born in Cambridgeshire c1811, and knowing Cambridgeshire has a place called BRINGTON, I thought I would pass that on just in case there has been a mistranscription somewhere along the line.  Does the record you found add the county of Sussex?
Roy G

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for looking  :)

Unfortunately the record is clear in that the handwriting is legible and does say Brighton - but no county, just Brighton England. None of the shipping records or convict transports I've looked at have anyone by his name from Brighton. His conjugal status at his 1862 wedding in NSW was "widower".

My only other option would be to purchase some more birth certs of his children to see if there is greater detail on any of those. At the moment I have only one of these that pertains to my direct line, but I am resisting buying any more at the moment - too easy to get completely carried away...

MM
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 08:50 GMT (UK) »
One other thing...

Some other family researchers online have his mother listed as Mary Jeffrey and father William Thoroughgood - but without adding their sources. Might this help? :-\ 

MM

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just looked for any Thoroughgood marriages pre1837 in Sussex and there are only 5.  This would imply that it is not a Sussex name and you may well need to look  elsewhere.
When did he arrive in Australia?   Might his first marriage be post 1837 and appear on www.freebmd.org.uk?
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at my road atlas I see that there is also a Brighton in Cornwall and a Brightons in Scotland - near Falkirk.  Worth investigating maybe?
What was his occupation?  Might he appear on a UK census?
Andrea

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Thanks for looking.

My problem is that I don't know exactly when he arrived in Australia. The only other clue is in his occupation as a blacksmith, and of all the other convicts that came to Oz that share his name, there is one whose occupation is a black and white smith from Essex who came in 1840 and is listed as married with 1 son and 2 daughters. He was tried in Kent for sheep stealing and sentenced to 15 yrs transportation. But I don't really know if this is my man. I have no idea if my Wm arrived as a blacksmith or learned it later. The previous marriage in England might support his later widower status, but it's a tenuous connection to make. You can see I'm grasping at straws here and have little reliable evidence to go on so far  :)

Just saw your other posting. The Brighton in Cornwall might work - but I don't think the Scotland one. His marriage cert in Oz definitely says England.

MM

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Away from home at the moment, but when I get back I will have a look for possible siblings born in Brighton Sussex around the same time.
A problem you may have encountered already is that the surname is so long and repetative, there could be a number of ways of abbreviating it.

There is also a New Brighton near Blackpool by the way.

Roy G

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Bit confusing as Children are;
ELIZABETH 1857
SUSAN 1859
HANNAH 1860
THOMAS 1862
ELIZABETH 1864
SAMUEL 1866
ROSE A 1868
MATILDA JANE 1873  (Died 1874)
Under Thoroughgood, Parents WILLIAM/ELIZABETH Reg Newcastle NSW

So were there 2 Elizabeths if William didnt Marry Elizabeth Singleton til 1862???
Or were the Children born pre Marriage but given the Thoroughgood name?

Williams Death Reg in 1891 has his Father as WILLIAM, Mother Unknown.

An on-line Family Tree has William/Elizabeth having a BENJAMIN c 1870 also.

You may also have found this;
http://incher.homemail.com.au/kai-ancestors/a1.htm#i447
It has Elizabeth SINGLETON 1839-1920, born Bottlesford. Lincolnshire
Parents RICHARD Singleton and Hannah SPEED

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)