Author Topic: Thoroughgood in Brighton  (Read 6680 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thoroughgood in Brighton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Back home, but found no Thoroughgoods baptised in Brighton, 1813-1835 so no possible siblings.  The only baptism was a Samuel, son of a shoemaker Samuel & Augusta, baptised 1837.

I do however have one suggestion that may help though, especially as you do seem to be clutching at straws.   
The IGI index does not include baptisms that took place in Preston Village, now a Brighton suburb, and it is common for people from Preston to say they were born in Brighton.  Furthermore, between 1793 - 1900, Preston had a Cavalry barracks which initially had stabling for up to 1000 horses.  So if your William followed the same trade as his father, the Cavalry barracks would be quite a good place to find a blacksmith, especially one with an unusual surname that originates in another county.  Perhaps the parish records of Preston near Brighton is an avenue you should explore more fully.

Roy G

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Thanks so much for your trouble.

Yes there were 2 Elizabeths. The first b.1857 also apparently d. 1857, but I have not found the death in the indexes to confirm this yet. The second was differentiated by the addition of Ann to her name, so Elizabeth Ann b. 1864 d.1902.

Yes, you are right about Elizabeth Singleton's birth in Lincolnshire in 1839. She died in Stockton NSW in 1920. Richard Singleton and Hannah Speed came out to Australia and died here 1868 and 1874 respectively. I also have Richard's parents as William Singleton b. 1780 Lancashire d. 1888, and Martha Burden m. 14 Dec 1801 Lincolnshire; then this Wm's parents as William Singleton b. 1752 Lancashire d. 1835 IN Singleton NSW. This town was named after a family member  8)

I'm constantly amazed at the speed and expertise of Chatters on this board. Thank you  :)

MM

Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Roy

Thanks for all your efforts. A massive storm interrupted our power last night just as I was reading your posts, so it was great to read everything this morning.

Your Preston suggestion sounds very interesting. I shall see how to go about accessing those records and follow up.

When William settled in Australia he lived in Stockton at Newcastle NSW which was even then a busy port town. There are maritime reports of a William Thoroughgood building two 12 metre sailing boats - one called Rose, and the other Ben (incidentally both names of children of my William). Both of these came to grief, but he is recorded as the boat builder and owner of the Ben. I have no evidence that there was a 2nd William Thoroughgood in Newcastle at the time, so I think this may have been my William.

I may also post some info on one of the other boards here which cover Convicts. Hopefully someone with more insight and expertise than I in that area might also be able to help.

I shall let you know if I have luck in the Preston records. Thanks again

MM  :)
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just looked for any Thoroughgood marriages pre1837 in Sussex and there are only 5.  This would imply that it is not a Sussex name and you may well need to look  elsewhere.
When did he arrive in Australia?   Might his first marriage be post 1837 and appear on www.freebmd.org.uk?
Andrea

Hi Andrea

I did look at the freebdms, but I don't have the name of his first wife to know which marriage might have been his. I think I need to nail his birthdate/place then I can know which marriage was likely to have been his. Also, I have no real evidence to know what year he left England. My working assumption is that he left in 1840 (when a convict William Thoroughgood was transported - trouble is there are at least a dozen Wm Thoroughgood/Thirgood/Thorogood/Thurgood who were transported and I don't know which one is mine  ???).

I shall keep looking. Chatters have been very helpful. Thank you.  :)

MM

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 January 11 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Found I could access the early Preston baptism records on the Internet via my membership of Sussex Family History Group, but unfortunately still drew a blank.  Your Thorogoods were not RCs were they?

Another side issue to consider by the way,
I found one of my rellies who was transported to Oz leaving his wife and family behind, found himself free to marry after serving his term, even though his wife was still alive in the UK and they had not been divorced. 
Roy G

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 January 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought as your most likely candidate for William is from Essex how about Brightlingsea? It can sound like Brightonsea.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 January 11 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan thanks for chiming in  :)

I will check out your Essex lead - who knows, 'Brighton' might also be a complete furphy and it might just have been his last abode... Will eventually track this chap down. Thanks again

MM

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 January 11 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Thanks for checking the Preston baptisms for me.

I lucked out also on the 1841 Census - checked it just in case there was evidence of any Thoroughgood family still there. I read for Preston Barracks what I think was a John Thoroughgood aged 20 (handwriting was unclear and I could be jumping at shadows), but nothing in Preston village.

I shall have a poke around on the weekend and see if I can come up with anything else.

Thanks again to you and everyone else for all your efforts. I know some day I'll be able to piece him together accurately.

MM   :) :)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 January 11 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Been checking back for the first appearance of William in the Ozzie records, and found a few omissions.  The IGI has the marriage and the following children
Batch Number: 0960338
WILLIAM THOROUGHGOOD - Male Marriage: 1856 Stockton, New South Wales, Australia

Batch Number: 0960338
MARY ANN THOROUGHGOOD - Birth: 1857 Stockton, NSW, md as Thorogood Wm Latham 1875  (d 1938)
HANNAH THOROUGHGOOD - Birth: 1862 Stockton, New South Wales,  (d 1947)
THOMAS THOROUGHGOOD - Birth: 1863 Stockton, New South Wales, (d 7 June 1938)
SAMUEL THOROUGHGOOD - Birth: 1866 Stockton, New South Wales,  (d 29 Mar 1930)
BENJAMIN THOROUGHGOOD -Birth: 1870 Stockton, New South Wales  (d 23 Aug 1927)
A boating record says Benjamin Thoroughgood (1870-1927) was born at Clarencetown.

Batch Number: 0960361
ELIZABETH THOROUGHGOOD - Birth: 1857 Stockton, N S W, Md Wm J Smith 1882
SUSAN THOROUGHGOOD - Birth: 1859 Stockton, N S W, Md Thomas Latham 1877 (d 1917)
ROSE A THOROUGHGOOD - Birth: 1868 Stockton, New South Wales,
MATILDA JANE THOROUGHGOOD - Birth: 1873 Stockton, New South Wales, (d 1874)

It puts his marriage earlier several years earlier than you have (1856 not 1862) adds Mary Ann (1857 unless she was also known as Elizabeth) to your list, but missing is the 1864 Elizabeth.  It wouldn't be the first time the IGI got things wrong, but its worth checking the old Stockton / Clarencetown records again in the hope that there was an earlier marriage certificate with much more information on it.

As for Preston Barracks, (not to be confused with the barracks in Preston Lancs) its a bit of a no hope-er because the 10th & 18th Dragoons were there in 1814, and it could be that their blacksmith went where ever the those regiments were posted. 
Also noted that there is a complete dynasty of blacksmiths with the Thoroughgood surname, most with their roots in East Anglia or Ireland.
Roy G