Author Topic: Moll/Mohl from Solingen, Germany  (Read 16842 times)

Offline Patricia_123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moll/Mohl from Solingen, Germany
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

My husband is descended from John and Alice's son, George who married Eleanor Proud. I have found 8 children - Christiana, Joseph, John, George, Eleanor, William, Anthony (my husband's greatx2 grandfather), Mary Ada and Hannah.

Regards,

Patricia

Offline Tom Mole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 April 16 22:07 BST (UK) »
Anthony was the cousin of my great great great grandfather Mathew Mole (born Mohl) who went to lived in Newcastle. Anthony owned a flourishing drapery business and was the money side of the family, it seems. I could do some further work for you when I can. I know that they kept contact because in one of the censuses Anthony's daughter/granddaughter is staying at John Mole's house (Matthew's son).

As I said, I need to do some more work on this but I'm a bit tied up with work ATM. I'll get back to you when I have something.

BTW where do you live? Is it Newcastle? That's where most of the Moles ended up. My end of the Mole family lived alongside the Ouseburn Valley in Byker.

Offline Tom Mole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 April 16 09:12 BST (UK) »
I made a mistake there. Anthony was the cousin of my great great grandfather John Mole/Mould. Matthew and George were brothers and the sons of John Mohl, listed as a "sword puller" and his wife Alice Mawson who lived and died in Shotley Bridge.

I've written a storyline of the Mohl/Mole family and the part leading up to the move to Newcastle may interest you.

Offline Patricia_123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 April 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

George (son of John Mole and Alice Mawson) seemed to move around the North East. He was married in Muggleswick, had children baptised/born in Medomsley, Shotley, Consett and Merrington; was in Haswell for the 1841 census and died in Castle Eden Colliery. George's son Anthony, who became a blacksmith, was living in Hawthorn when he married at Easington in 1860. He died in Ludworth. His daughter, Jane, my husband's great-grandmother, was born in Kelloe and also moved around but died in Thornley near Kelloe which is where my husband grew up, although we now live near Cambridge.

Regards,

Patricia

Offline Marku

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
Has anyone seen a sword by the Ohlig family from Shotley Bridge?

I really ought to dig up all the photos i took of the Ohlig graves in the local cemetary of the village.

Adam Oley(Ohlig) 1656–1726 was my 7th Great Grandfather on my dad's mums side.

Offline Thompatelm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Royal Armouries in Leeds?  I was looking for a Mole sword.. and found one there after asking an assistant.  I've seen the Ohlig (Oley)name mentioned when looking up Mole swords on line.

Offline Davo66

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am a decendant of the Oleys as my Grandfather's mother's maiden name was Oley. When I was a young boy in the 70s my Granda used to tell me we were related to German sword makers and they invented a sword that fitted in a top hat and then eventually they were taken over by Wilkinson. I had this story with me for my whole life and it's not until now after my wife did a geneology search I find the exact information my Granda told me as a young boy. He was born and lived his whole life in South Shields. I was born and lived in Barnard Castle in Co Durham, however, I now live in Ireland. I can't wait to come back over and check out Shotley Brisge. I still have a great number of relations in the north east.

Offline JenCowling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 February 21 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am descended from the Mole family from Northumberland. There is a story in the family that we might be descended from Sword Makers. The probelm is I can't get further back than John Mole who was a (deaf) gardener living in Belford on the censuses 1841 - 1861, he died there in 1864 aged 80ish. He was apparently born in Ilderton, (a tiny village in Northumberland). I have autosomal DNA matches to various people descended from him (including a male Mole, not sure if he has tested YDNA), (also one tenuous match to someone descended from the swordmakers).
I just wondered if anyone else had found any Moles who left Durham and went to Northumberland?
Also if any male MOLE has tested his YDNA?
Cheers, Jenny

Offline carlT

• RootsChat Senior
  • francis william
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 27 May 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, I would like to ask on behalf of my Wife Claire.
She is related to John Mole and Alice Mason through their Daughter Ann b, 1788.
Has any updated family information come to light, ie John's Father maybe?
Taylor Webber Challinor Houldsworth hole