Author Topic: Moll/Mohl from Solingen, Germany  (Read 16850 times)

Offline Molli33

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moll/Mohl from Solingen, Germany
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 January 13 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My name is E. Mohl. :)  I live in Hungary, in Budapest. Live in Hungary some Mohl. The family went to Hungary many years ago from Germany. 

Offline Mookiethedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachey...Hope I'm not bothering you.  I'm a real novice with genealogy but a recent sword purchase has me interested in the topic.  My mother's maiden name is Mole and she grew up in the North East before emigrating to Canada.  My sister purchased the sword for me which I haven't received yet.

A few years ago I visited England and my Uncle took me to a cemetery where a few of my great-uncles aunts are buried.  My Uncle did follow back his/my roots to the sword makers.  I noticed some interesting posts in the topic re: burial etc and wonder if you have pursued the topic further and have uncovered a lot of information.
Looking for any Mole people! (particularly swordmakers)

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
Good Evening  :)
Where abouts from the North East was your Mother from?
I have alot of information regarding the Mole/Mohls and I am hoping to view some of the swords they made in a couple of months time!  ;D
If you can do another post I will then be able to private message you some information if you would like?  :)

Offline Mookiethedog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 July 13 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachey...anything that you can send me will be greatly appreciated.  My mother is from Pelton Lane Ends.  I will give you more information through the private messages.  Thanks for the reply!
Looking for any Mole people! (particularly swordmakers)

Offline molehunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 July 13 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am David Mole, I am a direct descendant of the German side of the family, I currently live in Durham about 7 miles from Shotley Bridge. If anyone has any information as to why the family left Germany or anymore information of the family connections around the world it will be appreciated. my wife and I plan to visit Solingen soon and try to trace the family roots over there.

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 July 13 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hello David  :)
The reason why the Mohl's left Solingen is apparently down to either religious persecution, or them breaking "the sword makers oath".
Here are a few interesting links, you may have read them already but if you haven't:
http://www.the-nut.net/articles/shotley_swords.php
http://www.exodus2013.co.uk/the-shotely-bridge-swordmakers/

If you reply again to this I can then send you a private message with some of my other finds  :)

Offline molehunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 July 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for those links Rachey, they seem to confirm what I had discovered and especially the Wilkinson Sword link, although i had always thought this was set up in London not Birmingham. As I live so close to Shotley Bridge and Ebchester, I plan a visit to both places quite soon.

Dave :D :D :D :D :D

Offline LaurenH74

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a descendant of the Oley's of the Shotley Bridge sword makers.
I am trying to trace my roots back to them and not sure where to start, sounds strange but apparently both my parents are descendants of the Oley's and I'm trying to find that particular link. Fascinated in any info on the Sword makers and looking for photos of any swords made by the Oley's and Mohl's,thanks for starting this thread!

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 August 13 11:29 BST (UK) »
Lauren

Welcome to Rootschat. You've got an interesting area of research. I've attached 4 PDFs. The first shows the Oley headstones I've come across so far in this part of the Derwent valley. The rest show Oley Burial records in Ebchester, Whittonstall and Blackhill (Benfieldside) Burial Registers. This research is ongoing, so you may very well be able to unearth more.

Good luck with your researches.

PatB