Author Topic: Foley - Athy - Kildare  (Read 9325 times)

Offline jfy65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foley - Athy - Kildare
« on: Tuesday 18 January 11 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all! Looking at my family history and now know that my great grandfather, Patrick Foley, was born in Athy, Kildare, on May 3rd 1873 to John Foley and wife Rose (nee Nolan).

My great grandfather had a brother, John Jr, born in Liverpool in 1875. So I know that my great grandfather came to liverpool between 1873 and spring 1875. In the 1881 census, Rose lives with her sons Patrick and John on Wolfe Street, Toxteth Park. Sadly, she is down as a widow and I am trying to discover what actually happened to my great, great, grandfather John.

Rose married Edward Bannon, born in Meath, in 1882. I am sure that there is reference to her being born in Meath also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Foley - Athy - Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 17:16 GMT (UK) »
If there was a child born in Liverpool in 1875 and John Foley was dead by 1881 the logical place to find a death record would probably be in England not Ireland. Have you searched for John's death in death indexes yet? www.freebmd.org and www.lancashirebmd.org.uk are both good sites. Let me know if you'd like this thread moved to Lancashire board.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jfy65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks aghadowey for replying. I will search the death entries for liverpool district and then get back to the board. Could you please leave this thread on the kildare board until I find out that he did actually die in England and not Ireland. Will post once I find anything.

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
Foley is not a very common name in the Athy area so guesses are that any remaning here would be related to your family, the parish secretary here in the town at St Michaels Church, is a Foley and she does all the research so I would image has a history of her own family, you could write to her and explain your history and see if she can tie you branch in for you, regards Damsel

Hi to all! Looking at my family history and now know that my great grandfather, Patrick Foley, was born in Athy, Kildare, on May 3rd 1873 to John Foley and wife Rose (nee Nolan).

My great grandfather had a brother, John Jr, born in Liverpool in 1875. So I know that my great grandfather came to liverpool between 1873 and spring 1875. In the 1881 census, Rose lives with her sons Patrick and John on Wolfe Street, Toxteth Park. Sadly, she is down as a widow and I am trying to discover what actually happened to my great, great, grandfather John.

Rose married Edward Bannon, born in Meath, in 1882. I am sure that there is reference to her being born in Meath also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline madmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cash family in Athy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Celtic Damsel
   I have been reading your posts and see you share a pastime with me! grave searching!
I am researching my husbands family and apparantly many are buried in Athy,including my husband's famous 2 x Great Grandfather 'John Cash the Piper'
   As we live in Lancashire any research in Ireland is proving very difficult,though I have just received my first birth cert from a 'cheaper' website costing only 13 euros.Unfortunately any other certs before 1920 ,will have to be have to ordered from the more expensive sites...at 25 E !!!!
   if you do happen to wander through Athy graveyards (St Michaels?) and if it isnt too much trouble....would you send me any CASH MI 's please? 
 It would be very much appreciated...though I understand if the answer is no.I myself have done many look ups at the record office and libraries and understand that kindness can sometimes be taken for granted!

thanks for reading
Donna

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Cash family in Athy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
I have just received my first birth cert from a 'cheaper' website costing only 13 euros.Unfortunately any other certs before 1920 ,will have to be have to ordered from the more expensive sites...at 25 E !!!!

Research certs from the GRO cost €4 once you include the correct references from the BMD Index. See :

Introduction to Irish Records
  Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline madmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
   Wow thanks for that......yes I know the ref numbers...Im subscribed to Ancestry and theyve just included some indexes for Ireland BMD's

thanks again,I,ll be ordering a.s.a.p

Donna

Offline madmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I just clicked the link and this is the one I recently used to order a birth cert dated 1924
  When I tried to order a marriage cert ,the drop down box only covered dates 1920 - 2011 and Im looking for 2 marriages in 1896 and 1910

can I ask another question please?   on my hubbys Grandfather's marriage cert,it says his father's name was Edward.......on his birt cert it says Michael.....??!!
   Is it possible he used his confirmation name and this is the same man?  my father in law is positive the cert is the correct one.

thank you
Donna

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
I just clicked the link and this is the one I recently used to order a birth cert dated 1924
  When I tried to order a marriage cert ,the drop down box only covered dates 1920 - 2011 and Im looking for 2 marriages in 1896 and 1910

see the link above in reply #5 for details on ordering the research certs from the GRO. The orders are processed by post - you need to download an order form from the GRO

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests