Author Topic: MONAGHAN RESOURCES & LINKS **NEWS**  (Read 39205 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
MONAGHAN RESOURCES & LINKS **NEWS**
« on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Resources and Links in this thread organised by the following categories:

This thread now replaces the old Monaghan Resources & Links board. I have included all the information that was there and added a lots more resources for County Monaghan but if anyone can supply other links that will help other Rootschatters please let me know by PM or in a new post (a link as well as an explanation as to contents please). The contents of your topic will then be edited into to the relevant category topic and your original posting will be deleted.  (This may result in you receiving a "deleted" notification e-mail but will keep this thread tidy and easy to use)

General sources for research
Census Records
Church records
Graveyards & Gravestones
Land Records & Maps
Directories
Places
People & Families
Libraries, Museums & History Groups
Schools, Workhouses, Institutions, Occupations
Books, Newspapers, Magazines
Estate Records
Misc. & General Sources
Monaghan Wills
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MONAGHAN RESOURCES & LINKS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:33 GMT (UK) »
General sources for research

Visiting Monaghan might be of interest to anyone going there to research their family.

How to Trace Your Ancestors in County Monaghan(download pdf file)New link 10/2014.
http://www.monaghan.ie/en/media/monaghanie/content/files/pdf/library/TraceyourancestorsbookletFeb2014.pdf

Irish Genealogical Project- Monaghan- lots of links

Some Monaghan records here although not all links work: NEW 3/2013
http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/Monaghan/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Census Records

Monaghan Census Records & Census Substitutes

1901 census NOW ONLINE 3/6/2010
1911 census NOW ONLINE

NEW Details about 1766 Religious Census for Clones parish- reply #1:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,622714.0.html

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Church records

Church registers (see link on left side of page)- gives name of church (Church of Ireland, R.C., Presbyterian), date of earliest records and location of records: http://ahd.exis.net/monaghan/
Monaghan C. of I. records

Roman Catholic:
R.C. church records with map of parishes
Monaghan R.C. records
St Macartan's Cathedral constructed between 1861 and 1891
Magheross Church
St Joseph's, Carrickmacross
Church of the Blessed Virgin & All Saints (known as "All Saints") at Doohamlet was built during the years 1857 to 1861. All Saints' Cemetery was opened in 1921. Before that the dead were buried at Annyalla or in the graveyard at Clontibret old parish church (at Gallagh). Some of them have burial space in Castleblayney or at Ballintra in Tullycorbet Parish.
Chapel built in Annyalla between the years 1796 and 1799 but the present Church of St. Michael the Archangel wasn't built until the 1920s. The Church was dedicated in 1927. There are two cemeteries around the St. Michael’s. The old cemetery dates from around 1800. There are graves for people from both the Doohamlet area and some from the St Mary's area in this cemetery. The new Cemetery to the south east of the new church was opened in 1963.
Church of the Immaculate Conception (St Mary's), Clontibret was built between the years 1846 and 1865. The Cemetery at St Mary’s dates from 1859. Prior to the dedication of St Mary's burials took place in the cemetery at the old parish church at Gallagh and at Annyalla.
Catholic Parish of Inishkeen- map

Presbyterian:
Church of Ireland Monoghan Records
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lsi updated 2018
The records for the Ballybay Presbyterians date from 1752 but most of the others date from 1799. Presbyterians settled in the Ballybay area of Co. Monaghan in sizeable numbers in the 1690s and early 1700s  They began to worship together at Derryvalley, near Ballybay. The first congregation was known by the parish name of Tullycorbet. Click to read more on the Cahans Project website.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Graveyards & Gravestones

Monaghan Gravestone Inscriptions

Clones Round Tower Graveyard, Clones
Donagh Cemetery inscriptions

See also some graveyard listed under Churches

Ireland's Gravestone Index- pay site but search is free and can be quite useful (although there are some errors with people being listed twice in wrong parishes)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Land Records & Maps

Co. Monaghan road map
map of civil parishes

Townlands, Parishes, etc.
Counties are made up of parishes and parishes are made up of a group of townlands. If you are doing any research in Ireland these divisions become extremely important. For further information:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/records/land/townland.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townland
http://www.ancestryireland.com/database.php?filename=townlands

To find townlands and parishes in Ireland: www.thecore.com/seanruad
Be sure to change default setting from 'exact match' to search for part of a word.
www.logainm.ie/?menuItem=about&uiLang=en NEW

Griffith's Valuation (search by place or name)

Administrative Division of Ireland This site can be hard to use at first and not complete for everywhere but well worth persisting to see if the area you are interested in is included.

Maps- Civil Parishes, Civil Parishes, Baronies, Some maps linked to Griffith's Valuation

Dual Maps- display two maps side-by-side for single location (Google Maps + Microsoft Virtual Earth Maps), Multimap, Google Maps

There are several different systems of land measurement in place in Ireland at various times.
Statute acre (or English acre) = 4840 square yards
Cunningham acre = 6250 square yards. A Scottish measurement. Cunningham acres need to be multiplied by 1.29 to convert them to English, statute acres. www.clancunningham.org/photos/Settlement6.html
Irish acre = 7840 square yards www.sizes.com/units/irish_acre.htm + http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acre_(Irish)
conversion table
This may explain the differences in the acreage of a farm which seems to have changed in size.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Places

Shadows of Monaghan- photographs of Monaghan's towns & villages compiled by Monaghan Photographic Society

Co. Monaghan information- includes lots of local history

Carrickmacross
Rockcorry was built as a linen town by the Corr family.
Dartry, or Dawson Grove, was built in 1846

"The Geograph British Isles project aims to collect geographically representative photographs and information for every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland."

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:35 GMT (UK) »
People & Families

Monaghan Landowners (1870)

Lt Benjamin Watson (son of the Reverend Thomas S. and Anna C. Watson of The Rectory, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan), of the 7th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, aged 20, died of wounds on 17th June 1916. Click here to read the letter his company commander, Major A. D. Reid, wrote to Benjamin's parents.

A McConnon family lived in the townland of Togan, in the Threemilehouse area of the county in the 1700s.

A couple of famous sons of Inniskeen were the Irish poet Patrick Kavanagh, 1904-1967 and politician Bernard O'Rourke.

Pritchard family website