Author Topic: **LOOKUPS**  (Read 8918 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
**LOOKUPS**
« on: Friday 21 January 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
WHAT ARE THEY?

A look-up is the offer by another researcher to look at an item on your behalf and report back to you, when you are unable to do so.

This may be at Archives New Zealand, a cemetery, museum, library, church, newspaper etc.

The depth of information you may receive as a result of successful look-up request will vary.

Some researchers will note, by hand, the important genealogical information and others will photograph the same. 

If you have a specific request that is perhaps beyond this scope, feel free to ask if it can be accommodated.

Please be mindful to only request look-ups where you genuinely need the information (direct line ancestors and brickwalls).  That way, those individuals who are kind enough to share their research time with us will not become over-burdened.

Unless otherwise stated, please submit your enquiry on the New Zealand Board (not the Resources Board), prefixing it with the words,
"Lookup Request:".  If you decide to answer a Look-up request please let others know you are going to, to save double ups.

CEMETERIES

Don’t get your hopes up about cemetery photos, as there may not be a headstone.

ARCHIVES NEW ZEALAND

A look-up at Archives New Zealand can vary from being easy to do to requiring the patience of a saint due to the time it takes to request an item through the Archives 'system'.

Any one researcher on-site at the Archives may only request a maximum of 5 items at a time.  Therefore limiting your own look-up requests on this board to no more than 2 concurrent items will ensure the researcher can help you, others and themselves.

Please supply the 'Archives NZ Reference' from their website http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ and the url for the item.

The 'Archives NZ Reference' looks like this:
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
LOOK-UPS North Island
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
OFFERS
The following Rootschatters offer a Look-up service in the NORTH ISLAND:

Far North:
"Whenu"
Willing to take photos of headstones in cemeteries in the Far North from about Hokianga across to Whangaroa.

Far North:
"Janinez"
Whangarei and some surrounding area cemeteries.

Pukekohe area:
"Kiwihalfpint"
Willing to take cemetery photos.

Auckland:
"Janette"
Archives and Waikumete and Waikaraka Cemeteries.

"Kiwi Girl"
Waikumete Cemetery

South Auckland area:
"Koha"
I would be happy to take pics of Churches, headstones, houses, hospitals etc.

Gisborne area:
"Kiwi Girl"
Able occasionally to do Gisborne look ups/ photos

Hamilton area:
"DonL"
Willing to take cemetery photos.

Kapiti area:
"Romawi"
Willing to do cemetery or record searches in the area. Towns include Porirua, Paraparaumu, Otaki, Levin and Waikanae.

Greytown:
"Ladybird"
Willing to supply BDM's for Greytown. I have all the burials from about 1870 and also indexes of transcripts for 700 births and 500 marriages.
Please PM me.

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
LOOK-UPS South Island
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 11 08:53 GMT (UK) »
OFFERS
The following Rootschatters offer a Look-up service in the SOUTH ISLAND:

Nelson/Tasman area.
"johnbarr"
Able to photograph headstones and look-up local death notices.

North Canterbury: Oxford, Rangiora, Kaiapoi, Cust, and Balcairn Cemeteries.
"Leandra"
Or just ask for others in North Canterbury and I can let you know.

Christchurch: Ruru Lawn Cemetery.
“Suzy W”
I go to the Ruru lawn Cemetery in Christchurch often (depending on weather) and will take photo's of headstones for anyone.
Just remember some are covered by grass, but the council is lifting the stones and placing a boarder around them.
Many are unmarked graves as well.
As long as I have a plot number I should be able to find them ok

Christchurch: transcriptions for Ruru Lawn, Memorial and Waimairi Cemeteries.
“Newbe”
Ruru Lawn from 1941
Memorial from 1956
Waimairi from 1900
If anyone would like a look up please contact me. If there is a headstone then I may be able to go and get a photo for you.

The Press (Christchurch) lookup offer.
“Newbe”
If anyone would like a death notice looked up in “The Press” newspaper please let me know by Sunday night each week as I will be going to the library on Monday mornings.
I have two links here that will make it easier for death notices from 2000 to 2007 and 2008 onwards.
http://file.stuff.co.nz/legacy-assets/stuff/asset/Death_Notices_2000_to_2007.pdf
http://file.stuff.co.nz/legacy-assets/stuff/asset/2008.pdf

This one is updated each Friday so may need to refresh link when saved to your own computer. They may take some time to download as well.
http://multimedia.stuff.co.nz/thepress/2009.pdf

This page gives instructions about how to search for a death notice.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/promotions/reader-services/2259796/Death-Notices-List-of-Names

Christchurch death records, etc:
"lyndahirst_1"
I live in central Christchurch and would be happy to 'pay it forward' by looking up cemetery records at the Library and taking photos where possible.  Also happy to check out any other records with may be accessible to me.
Please contact me with as many details as possible and I'll do what I can.

Invercargill & Southland.
"New Zealander"
Able to assist throughout Invercargill and Southland with newspaper searchs, photographs of gravesites or inquiries of any sort.  Happy to assist where I can just give me a call.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
LOOK-UPS Other
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 January 11 08:57 GMT (UK) »
OFFERS
The following Rootschatters offer a Look-up service of OTHER MATERIAL (usually held by themselves):