Author Topic: Interchangeable names ?  (Read 15623 times)

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Interchangeable names ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 January 11 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who replied, it makes very interesting reading. Looking forward to tomorrow when I can apply the results to my "lost souls" who have eluded me so far.

Cheers to you all, I appreciate your help

OFG

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 01:20 GMT (UK) »
I searched for ages for a Nancy until a kind RC member pointed out it was a pet form of Agnes,was easy after that.Also I eventually found the DC for my GG grandfather James Steen,transcribed as Stevens.Apparently that's the Anglicised version of Steen.Oh and Anne,yes Elizabeth,I have lots of them in a variety of spellings ;D

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Stephens, Stephenson, Stevenson, Stevens, Stinson, Steen are all interchageable.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 February 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the most difficult examples are on the fringe of Gaelic. Marion, Mor and Sarah are, for instance, routinely interchanged and there are other examples.
Email address is not working

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I struggled with Hugh/Ewan...

Patricia..
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 14:33 GMT (UK) »
But what about surnames ?

Does anyone think that Cameron /Campbell are interchangeable ?

I have a lady who I am sure are one and the same person.

From marriage, through 5 children, and on their death certificates (she died before 1855) she appears as Jane/Jean Cameron/Campbell in several combinations. Maybe here husband got it wrong when registering the children , but he remains a shoemaker throughout and they live in the same area.
Also there is no marriage registered to a Jean/Jane Campbell

Strange....

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I was at a Heilan wedding once, where the minister asked, "Do you Donald Archibald take Jessie Annie!" thought I was at the wrong church, Danny & Babs!     Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone think that Cameron /Campbell are interchangeable ?

It looks highly unlikely to me.

Cameron is either from the places of similar names in the Lowlands, or from Gaelic 'cam' meaning 'crooked' or 'bent' plus 'sron' meaning 'nose' - a reference to a hooked nose said to be prevalent among descendants of the Highland clan.

Campbell is from 'cam' as before and 'beul' meaning 'mouth', so means 'crooked mouth', though the jury is out as to whether this is a reference to a physical or a moral characteristic.

Either way, Camerons and Campbells were on opposing sides during the Jacobite Risings, and it's hard to imagine anyone deliberately using them interchangeably, or even getting them mixed up.

But almost anything is possible.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
A bit of a generalisation about the Jacobite Rebellions, there were Keppoch Campbells who were Jacobites and much of the Clan Campbell followed Breadalbane into the '15 Rebellion, they were defeated by Argyll  (Red John of the Battles) at Sheriffmuir.