Author Topic: Interchangeable names ?  (Read 15737 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Interchangeable names ?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
A bit of a generalisation about the Jacobite Rebellions

Indeed. It was rather a sweeping generalisation, for which I apologise.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:17 GMT (UK) »
We have an ancestor who in 1814 baptised John Lauder Hislop.

During our quest to find the beginnings and endings of John we discovered.... not too easily I add...that he also went under the name of John Hislop Lauder and also John Lauder. On his daughter Margarets death certificate he is recorded as John Hislop Lauder. His daughters are registered with the name Lauder, yet on the census of 1861, 71 and 81 he is found as a Hislop.... oddly enough his second wife Jane and daughter Grace are recorded under the name LAUDER  whilst staying with other family members at the time of the 1861 census... On his death certificate he is John Lauder or Hislop....
His first daughter Ann on marriage and death certification is recorded as Lauder also fathers name John Lauder.

Confusing.....
Do your Campbells/ have second names or relatives with either name?

Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I am having real problems with my great great grandmother whose surname name randomly varies between Woods and Woodside. She may have been born in Ulster although the various documents that I have referring to her are Scottish; she died in Bothwell in 1885. One document, perhaps just a mistake, refers to her as Wood. Anyone else got a Woods/Woodside problem?
Alex.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 February 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I am having real problems with my great great grandmother whose surname name randomly varies between Woods and Woodside. She may have been born in Ulster although the various documents that I have referring to her are Scottish; she died in Bothwell in 1885. One document, perhaps just a mistake, refers to her as Wood. Anyone else got a Woods/Woodside problem?
Alex.

Afraid we often do that in Ulster - names with O' and Mc/Mac are notorious for that but can also see it would happen with Woodside/Woods/Wood. (Aunt's  mother was a Woodside from Ballyclare area but I haven't traced much of that side of her family yet so will have to keep an eye out for variations as well)
Many Ulster Scots families would refer, even now, to being of Scottish descent even if the family arrived in Ireland several hundred years ago. Also, there was always lots of movement back and forth bewtween Ireland and Scotland which means some children in a family could be born in the one place and some in the other.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Max Hislop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 May 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
We have an ancestor who in 1814 baptised John Lauder Hislop.

During our quest to find the beginnings and endings of John we discovered.... not too easily I add...that he also went under the name of John Hislop Lauder and also John Lauder. On his daughter Margarets death certificate he is recorded as John Hislop Lauder. His daughters are registered with the name Lauder, yet on the census of 1861, 71 and 81 he is found as a Hislop.... oddly enough his second wife Jane and daughter Grace are recorded under the name LAUDER  whilst staying with other family members at the time of the 1861 census... On his death certificate he is John Lauder or Hislop....
His first daughter Ann on marriage and death certification is recorded as Lauder also fathers name John Lauder.

Confusing.....
Do your Campbells/ have second names or relatives with either name?

Patricia

Patricia- I can't believe it! I've been trying to track down John Lauder Hislop for ages! He is an ancestor of mine and seemed to have disappeared from the records. Your research seems to have solved the mystery. I'd love to know what you have found out about him and to let you see what I found out. Last record I had of him was he was living in Biggar in Lanarkshire with his second family.
Please contact me.
Thanks Max

Offline Sutherland74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 January 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, it has finally explained to me why my Daniel, couldn't be found, he is recorded as Donald.
Regards
Kathb

I also now understand why my ancestor's  :)death certificate shows Daniel but the birth record Donald.
Quinn, McDermott, McGuigan, Toal, Wright, Kerr, O'Hara, Smith, McCrea, McKAy, Cunningham, MacFarlane, Mairs, Cassidy, Copeland, Lamond, Brannan, McHendrie, Clark, Strachan, Dollan, McCOig, McCardle, Welsh

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 January 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a Marion/Marian/Mary Ann/Mariane in my tree.  ::)
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 January 18 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max... re John Lauder Hislop...

I have only just found your message... so sorry its ages ago...

Are you still interested in finding info re John... If so I will share what I have... Our connection is through Ann Lauder who married David French.... Ann was the daughter of John and his first wife Helen. 

Regards Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline crwhitton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
John Lauder Hislop/ John Lauder or Hislop.  His parents were David Hislop and Janet Watson.   He died 10-11-1887  at Main Street Biggar and was a Fruiterer and Toy Merchant!  I am related through his brother James Hislop 1814-1871 wife Isaballa Lunn 1814-1900 and their daughter Alison Hislop 1850-1931 was my GGrandmother.
As you say John Hislop Lauder was married twice  first to a Helen (cant read her surname) then Jane Wilson.

Margaret Lauder's daughter Jeannie Wilson Liddle 1874-1935 went to Vancouver and has living relatives there.  (PS I dont know a Max!)