Author Topic: Cornwell John - Heathfield c1830-1902  (Read 4969 times)

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwell John - Heathfield c1830-1902
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 February 11 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Wow - many thanks.
The bapt is proving very elusive but fingers crossed it is out there somewhere !

Y

Offline sue9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 February 11 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi YJC

Have you seen on nationalarchives.gov.uk

Settlement examination PAR372/32/4/10 dated 30/11/1838

Re: Eliza Cornwell age 24. Father Robert and children John and James

Regards
Sue

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 February 11 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks for that & yes I have seen the settlement info. It is  believed the John & James given as sons of Eliza (we know she was the daugh of Robert & Hannah) are not the same 2 Cornwell boys I am enquiring about. The reason being  -
1841 census - Eliza is living in Heathfield with her 2 aforementioned sons John age 5, James age 3 + her daughter Diane age 1. She married James Hook, 4/5/1840 @ Hadlow Down, Sussex.
Her Mum, Hannah, also appears on the 1841 census  living in Heathfield with 2 boys James 15 & John 12 , we are assuming these are Hannah's sons but can't be certain unfort.

I 'll just need to keep digging - I have a very large spade !!!!!  :D

Bye Yvonne

Offline cornwellk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 October 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of John and Mark Cornwell and have been looking for John (snr) for the past 30 years (without success).  Would be interested in the military records of Robert if anyone can help.

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 October 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't know if this will help or not.
I have been adv by a 'Cornwell' contact on GenesReunited that she has found the ARMY rec , consisting of 20 pages, for Robert CORNWELL, under the Chelsea Pensioners Collection @ FindMyPast. I haven't actually seen it. I have emailed her to see if she has downloaded it & if so if she would send me a copy, I'll let you know if & when I hear anything.
You mention in your message that you are a direct descendant of John & Mark Cornwell + you speak of John Snr. Is your John Snr (1830-1902) the one who was marr to Mary Weeks & John (1865) was their son ? Who was Mark ? John Jnr's son perhaps ??

Bye for now
Yvonne 

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 October 11 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi - I forgot to say in my earlier message - my husband is also a direct descendant of John Cornwell (1830-1902). I have his Mum as Hannah Watts, Father - N/K even though Hannah was married to Robert it is not thought he was John's Dad ! I have Hannah's Dad as Samuel Watts & his wife Hannah surname N/K. Does this all tie in with your tree recs ?????

Look forward to hearing from you.
Yvonne

Offline cornwellk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 October 11 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne,

Sorry for the original error but Mark should have read Mary.  I forgot that John and Mary (nee Weeks) had a son called John (b. 1865).  My John Snr is the 'missing' John Cornwell and is given as John's father on his marriage cert. with Mary (1851).  Understand from other messages in this chat room that Robert re-married and is anyone aware of the date/location?  Were Robert and Hannah divorced or was it a case of bigamy?  I have found a copy of Robert and Hannah's marriage in the Benenden parish records and on the same page is the wedding of Thomas Cornwell and Sophie Martin (1814).  Robert was a witness so was he Thomas' brother?  More questions than answers.

Regards

Kevin

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 October 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin
Thanks for the clarification re Mark/Mary !
I did wonder after I had sent my earlier message if the elusive John was the person named as John's (who marr Mary) Father. I'm started to think he wasn't actually a 'real' person but simply a name on a cert ????? I have also hit a BIG BRICK WALL with him.
I have heard back from my GR contact - she has Robert's Army recs saved but is currently having probs sending them to me ............watch this space !!!!
She has said she would be interested in making contact with you - do you want to arrange this by way of direct email ? If not I will ref her to your details via Roots.
You haven't said how far you have managed to trace the Cornwell clan back in time - have you got any further than me ?
We are not convinced Robert actually marr Ann  as there do not appear to be any divorce recs for him & Hannah, although they do appear to have lived together.
Bye for now
Yvonne

Offline Rhondajb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yvonne
I've been searching my Cornwell family tree and came across this thread. My Grandmother was a Cornwell, her parents were James and Emily.  James was the son of the John and Mary you are talking about.  I find this quite interesting as the line ends with John in my searches as well.  Just wondering if you ever found anything out?
Cheers
Rhonda