Author Topic: james hughes born 1801  (Read 2774 times)

Offline graham01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james hughes born 1801
« on: Friday 21 January 11 20:39 GMT (UK) »
bit of advice needed folks,am i wasting my time trying find any information out about my 5 x great grandfather james hughes born in holywell flintshire in 1801.the only source for his birth is the 1841 and 1851 censuses.tried to find him in bdm on ancestry with no luck,being trying for three years now and dont know any other source open to me....graham.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: james hughes born 1801
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 11 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Do you know which James Hughes it is on the census as I found two.
One is married to Sarah and children and the other is living at Swan Court with his brother John?

I have looked at one source and of course being Welsh there are lots of James Hughes born around the beginning of the 1800's. Was there any names that continued through the families of his?

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline graham01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
sandymac,my james was living in back berry street in liverpool in 1841 and in 1951 while still at the same address is shown as a bricklayer(not uncommon as during this time the welsh were being brought into liverpool in great numbers as they were the most reliable workers as they did not drink during their break times).the name james crops up a few times in my family as does john and robert.i know from my research that both liverpool and bootle imported a large number of welsh workers,indeed my last house was built by a man called welsh jones who became the mayor of bootle......graham...

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 January 11 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

I've looked in my Holywell St James Parish records and there is a James Hughes son of Robert & Sarah Hughes who was baptised on 18/6/1802. The next earlier James was baptised in March 1797 and the next James baptised after is March 1805.

If you think the 1802 is yours and you would like me to try and dig abit more ie siblings just let me know.

Sarah  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline graham01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 January 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
sarah many thanks,you could be on a winner there.i have never been able pin down james date of birth only about 1801.if you could dig a little bit more information out for me i would be most grateful.the line down from james has been most interesting and my interest in family tree started when i was left my great grandfathers robert hughes medals and cap badge from the first world war.since then i have been hooked.once again thanks sarah....graham...

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 January 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

I've had a look and I've found out a bit more but not as much as I would of liked. I am as sure as I can be that James had the following siblings:-

Robert baptised 26/3/1797
Peter baptised 19/10/1798
Elizabeth baptised 17/12/1800

There are two other children but there is a bit of a gap so they may or may not be more siblings

Sarah baptised 1/11/1807 born on 30th (additional info = family live in Holywell mothers maiden name Jones)

Richard baptised 3/11/1813 (fathers occupation mechanic).

I couldn't locate Robert and Sarah's marriage in Holywell which suggests she was orginally from another parish and they married there.

Hope it helps

Sarah  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline graham01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 January 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
hi sarah,thanks again for that information.the names you have given me appear in the family a few times.you have given me plenty to go on.got a couple of spare hours in the morning to follow up the leads that you have given me,will let you know how i get on ...bye for now...graham...