Author Topic: COMPLETED Derby war memorials  (Read 8408 times)

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Derby war memorials
« on: Sunday 23 January 11 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I am researching William A. Henehan who died in 1915. He was in the Border Regiment and his name is on the Helles memorial in Turkey but I would like to know if his name is also on any war memorial in his home city, Derby. The 1911 census lists him as an apprentice with the Midland Railway and I believe there is a memorial to railway workers on Platform 1 at Derby Station. If anyone is passing either the station or the memorial in the city centre, I'd be most grateful if you could have a look and see if the name is there.
Thank you
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline COMEONFRANK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Derby war memorials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 January 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Railway workers War memorial on Midland Road right near Derby Railway Station . When I pass I will try to remember the camera !

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 January 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Railway workers War memorial on Midland Road right near Derby Railway Station . When I pass I will try to remember the camera !
That's very kind of you - thank you!
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Derby war memorials - COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 11 06:26 GMT (UK) »
I've been informed by a member of the Midland Railway Society that William's name does indeed appear on the railway memorial. Thank you for the kind offer to go and look for me but no longer necessary as I shall have a trip to Derby to see it.

Offline scritch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
William Henehan is also remembered on the war memorial outside St. Giles' Church in Normanton, Derby. I have a photograph that I will post on here when I get home (I'm at work at the moment).
Hope this helps
Richard

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this?
http://www.bygonederbyshire.co.uk/stories/Henehan-appeal/article-3290251-detail/article.html
Thank you for the link - funny how you spend years searching and then it all comes together!  :)

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
William Henehan is also remembered on the war memorial outside St. Giles' Church in Normanton, Derby. I have a photograph that I will post on here when I get home (I'm at work at the moment).
Hope this helps
Richard
Thanks Richard - that's very kind of you.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk