Author Topic: Photos of Moon Street, Liverpool - Pre 1940's  (Read 21404 times)

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of Moon Street, Liverpool - Pre 1940's
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 October 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
unfortunateley not..heres the story My Great Granparents Joseph and Minnie had several children including my Grandfather Samuel, he was in the RASC in ww2 and was demobbed in a Derbyshire Town called Staveley, where he met my Grandmother and stayed until his death in 1988 consequently I have always lived in Derbyshire. Ok so that doesn't explain why i dont have any photographs but I was only 7 when hed died and have no recolection of him ever speaking or even visiting liverpool ever again, my Mum (sams daughter) also never met Joseph and Minnire or any of there other children...

so unfortunatley I know nothing about them and am on here incase someone does :), they were jewish (thankfully Josephs ww1 records survive) came from Russia / Poland, as i think a lot of people in moon street did. Ive emailed a jewish family history expert and even he cannot find any record of them anywhere apart from their kids birth records and when they died, (they are in Rice Lane Cemetery)...wood love to see a picture of their house or of them or even the holy grail of finding out where they came from and why they came here??????

Yes, your family were living slap-bang in what was then the Jewish quarter of Liverpool. There is a Jewish family of that same name still living in Liverpool, I would imagine they are connected to you ? 

I've been researching my Jewish roots for many years & I work with a group of Jewish & non-Jewish researchers who are scattered around the world & who are all very experienced researchers. Have you been researching for long ?   Have you joined all the free Jewish websites & left a list of names for people to contact you ?

After many years I managed to find the Shtetl where my grandfather came from & I also found his parents & some siblings in Dublin. I began with zero info as my father's family thought my maternal grandfather, who died in 1949, was a 'one-off' with no family whatsoever. So now we have relatives all over the world!

Like yourself, my grandfather also died many years before I was born. He was born in 1867, the era that most of my friends gt gt gt grandfathers were from.
Jewish roots are very difficult to research with all the name changes, my Freeman family has evolved from Freedman and was originally Friedman.

HG2
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline marble2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 October 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
My grandparents lived in 50 Moon Street in the 1920's Alexander and Alice Ann Midghall but unfortunately have never seen a picture of the street and it's no longer there

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 October 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
My grandparents lived in 50 Moon Street in the 1920's Alexander and Alice Ann Midghall but unfortunately have never seen a picture of the street and it's no longer there

It's amazing, so now we have...

48) Louis Freeman, who lived at number 48, Moon St, from 1911 until about early 1940s & rented a room to Florence & James Evens, who stayed after my GF Louis left.
50) Alexander & Alice Ann Mindghall who lived at number 50, Moon St, in the 1920s
52) Joseph & Minnie Ellenbogan

I began this thread because I have been given a photo of an elderly woman standing on the doorstep of a house & I 'think' she might be my grandfather's 3rd wife standing on the doorstep of 48, Moon St.  (My grandfather was widowed 3 times)

I'm hoping that one day someone will come along & find this thread who has a photo of Moon St.  You will see from the posts that Donna2010 found this thread & had such a photo but unfortunately the photo only reveals a tiny bit of the door frame, not enough to identify when comparing the 2 photos. If I can confirm it is Moon St, then that will confirm who the woman on the photo is.

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline LOSCHES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 October 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
next door neighbours!!!  I did a search ages ago at Liverpool Library on line or something or other like that and they had a pamphlet written by a rabbi (sp?) about a fire in Moon street, maybe they also have some photos, i can't imagine they would just bulldoze the place and not document it somehow especially as it was still there in at least 1952 (when my great grandad died) to put up the university?

Offline LOSCHES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 October 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/merseysidealiens/aliensdate.htm

theres two entires on this page (possibly more in this site for moon street

Offline ginny44

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 October 12 17:43 BST (UK) »
Found this-is it yours?

http://www.jewishtelegraph.com/roots_158.html

Best wishes

Ginny

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 October 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
Found this-is it yours?

http://www.jewishtelegraph.com/roots_158.html

Best wishes

Ginny

Yes, that's me LOL!  But I've come a long way since I posted that message in the Jewish Telegraph.

The Louis Friedman from Lomza (mentioned in that message) on the shipping list turned out to be a red herring.  He changed ships in Liverpool & carried onto New York 3 weeks later.  :'(

It took me another couple of years to find where my grandfather Louis came from. He always 'claimed' he was a German National on all UK censuses yet I could not find him on any alien list or in any alien camp.  Luckily, I found that he had visited Dublin in 1917 with his family & as he had never naturalized, he needed to sign the alien register in Dublin & that gave me his true place of birth taken from his identity card.  He was from Sveksna, Kovno, Russia.  It's an area which is now a part of Lithuania. 

This was the most important 'find' of my entire research as not only did this prove where he came from, this also tied my grandfather Louis, to Tobias & Faiga Freedman who lived in Dublin. (my grandfather's parents) That then tied him to some siblings I also found in Dublin.

I'm writing a biography about my parents, so I've been researching for some time now. 

Thanks Ginny

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline ginny44

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 October 12 18:19 BST (UK) »

Hi

My family, coming from Ireland, haven't made it easy for me either, so I understand.  Good luck.  If I ever come across a photo of Moon Street, I'll remember you.  Where is Moon Street by the way?

G

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 October 12 18:29 BST (UK) »

Hi

My family, coming from Ireland, haven't made it easy for me either, so I understand.  Good luck.  If I ever come across a photo of Moon Street, I'll remember you.  Where is Moon Street by the way?

G

Moon St was around the BrownLow Hill area of Liverpool, which was were Jewish immigrants settled in the late 1800s - early 1900s.

My mother's paternal side were from Liverpool & I've pooled my info with another researcher & the family go back to 1573! 
But my mother's maternal side were from Ireland & I gave those Irish roots a wide berth knowing how difficult Irish roots are to trace.
I can't believe my bad luck to find my father's Jewish family also settled in Ireland!  I have so many missing deaths! It's as if they didn't bother to register a death!
I have found my paternal gt grandmother's grave in Dublin, but there's no stone & it looks like her death has not been registered.

Thanks Ginny

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby