Author Topic: German ancestry  (Read 2505 times)

Offline David Stuckenberg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German ancestry
« on: Monday 24 January 11 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am in search of my family coat of arms and/or crest of our family name Stuckenberg.  I can not find parents or any siblings of my gggggrandfather Claus August Stuckenberg. All I know is he was born in Lubeck, Germany in 1806.

Thanks
David

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: German ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 11 22:44 GMT (UK) »
As you are probably aware in England there is no such thing as a family crest or coat of arms.  They belong to individuals not families and I believe the same applies to Germany.

You would probably make more progress by posting a request about your ancestor on the Europe board.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David Stuckenberg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 January 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I will give that a try,

Thanks

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 February 11 22:29 GMT (UK) »
As you are probably aware in England there is no such thing as a family crest or coat of arms.  They belong to individuals not families and I believe the same applies to Germany.

You would probably make more progress by posting a request about your ancestor on the Europe board.

To my knowledge, in Germany (or rather, what is now Germany), arms were originally borne by (or granted to) individuals, but were inherited undifferenced by all of the sons of the original armiger.  (And by their sons, and by their sons, and so on.)

David