Author Topic: Cochrane family from Manchester, England 1900  (Read 15737 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cochrane family from Manchester, England 1900
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found a marriage, but the 1915 Rhode Island state census on familysearch.org has John & Josephine married, so the 1912 date sounds about right.

Here's some more entries for them -

1910 & 1912 Providence city directories
Cochrane, Ernest H., clerk 277 Plainfield, boards 50 Pocasset av.
Cochrane, J. Thomas machinist, home 50 Pocasset av.

1923 & 1925 Providence city directories
Cochrane, Henry resides 50 Pocasset av.

1926 & 1927 Providence city directories

1929, 1930, 1931, 1938, 1940-44, & 1947 Providence city directories
Cochrane, J. Thomas (Josephine A.) machinist, home 50 Pocasset av.
(the 1929 directory seems to be the first one where wives are showing on the page)

1932 Providence city directory
Cochrane, Henry resides 50 Pocasset av.
Cochrane, J. Thomas (Josephine A.) machinist, home 50 Pocasset av.

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 January 11 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I've sent an email to the guy who set up the photography website from what I've mentioned on my original first post regarding the Cochrane's just now so hopefully that might bare fruit with some further information about Harry.
If anybody else can help anymore about the 3 Cochrane's and what happened with them please psot away  :) thanks
Rayson - Bedworth pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Mills - Ireland pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Baxendale - Wigan pre 1850 and Manchester post 1850
Tallis - Bedworth pre and post 1850
England - Manchester pre and post 1850
Townsend - Halifax pre and post 1850

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cochrane family from Manchester, England 1900
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 January 11 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found Harry Cochrane on the 1911 Census in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Also possibly married it appears also  :)

I've got a Harry Cochrane aged 21 showing as the head of the household with a Clare Cochrane aged 22 and a daughter Doris Cochrane aged 12/18 months.

I may be wrong as it doesn't give me the field names at the top of the columns I'm looking at but after each name it gives a month and for Harry it says September which would match as the month he was born, thus that's what the column could be. For Clare its July and Doris October. The link is as follows:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=7113&highlight=31&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Harry+Cochrane

Does this look as if it could be Harry?

How would I find a marriage as from my searches on the internet for marriages in Canada I'm not getting very far?

Any help as always would be great  :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 January 11 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phil,

The record you found above is badly mistranscribed on one of the famous subsription sites with the family at 95 Duncan Street. Halifax. Nova Scotia - this is what they had  ???

Harry Cockrane 21 Born September. Teacher of Music. Presbyterian.
Glace Cockrane 22 Born July
Cartis Cockrane 1 year and 8 months. Born Oct

I have asked a friend in Canada if she could help you with the marriage of Harry and Clara, she will reply to you here.  Hope it will help clarify that you have the correct person.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RayMilBax

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 January 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
Thanks for your assistance, really appreciated.
This Harry Cochrane you've mentioned could still be my Harry as he was a pianist and involved in music for a long period of his life so I believe.
Thus with you mentioning from the census listing he was a teacher of music it could still be looking good  :)
Thanks
Phil

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 January 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I am the friend that Sandra mentioned.

www.novascotiagenealogy.com
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

I have checked everything that I can find in Nova Scotia under all of the variant spellings for Cochrane and I have come up with nothing other than the entry at Automated Genealogy. Births are only registered until 1909 and nothing even close shows for a child of Harry. I looked for a marriage and nothing. Deaths only go to 1959 but again nothing. I also checked the Attestation Papers for WW1 and again nothing. I went to the Commonwealth War Graves and again nothing. I checked the WW1 Draft cards and again nothing conclusive.
If his parent's were in Providence for that length of time and if they died there, you may be able to find an obituary for John thomas that may give you some leads. Some libraries have an "Ask a Librarian" section or a member of the Random Acts of Kindness may do a lookup for you. You have the directories and know when the name stopped so that could be a starting point to look for an obituary.

On the 1916 Census of Man., Sask. and Alberta, there is a Dorris M Cochrane, b 1909 but I don't have access to the details but someone else may be able to follow up on that.
I will keep looking for information.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 January 11 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Question - Are Harry and Henry the same person or are we looking at 2 different people as I notice a Henry residing with J. Thomas in posts above.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 January 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this for Phil, it will be greatly appreciated.
I have checked out Doris in Manitoba, unfortunately that is a different family.
I am presuming Henry and Harry are the same and he was perhaps visiting on those occasions when he is listed in the directory.  ???

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 January 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I went to the Back in time site to see what it said and there is a short biography on Harry and has his dates 1886-1970. It appears that the photos were found in his house after his death so hopefully the contact person will know where the house was.

I also did an on-line search for a Harry Cochrane and came up with a link to UNB Electronic Text Center - Manuscripts Collection Index.
http://www.lib.unb.ca/Texts/Theatre/Calendars/search_cal.cgi?field=all&order_by=DATE&terms=mock&limit=175

Result 183 mentions Mr. Cochran
Result 189
Majestic
Mr. Harry Cochrane and orchestra did themselves proud with delightful programmes of Irish instrumental music and songs.
Result 190
Musical numbers by Prof. Harry Cochrane