Author Topic: St Columba's Church Topcliffe  (Read 4126 times)

Offline maureen39

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Columba's Church Topcliffe
« on: Tuesday 25 January 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any knowledge as to where I might  look at the plans of the graveyard at St Columba's Church Topcliff.
If there are any!
I know my ancestor is buried there as I have copies which I sent for from Northallerton, hard to read but  the dates of burial are Sept 13th or could be 18th 1808.
I have been for a visit to St Columba's to look round the graveyard but I have no idea where the grave might be so it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Not a wasted journey however as I managed to take some lovely pictures of the Church
I also have copies of his wife's and his fathers buriel, also in the same graveyard, so before I take another trip to Topcliffe I should like to be able to know where to look.
Is this at all possible? I would be most grateful for any help or advise.

Maureen

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: St Columba's Church Topcliffe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet would be to hope that someone has done monumental inscriptions for this graveyard.  To find out, I'd contact the family history society that covers that area.  There should be a list of family history societies on the genuki website somewhere.  Sorry, its rather late and I should be in bed, or I'd look it up myself!

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have MIs for Topcliffe Saint Columba but unfortunately it doesn't include a plan.  However it is split into sections (N,S,E,W and terraces etc.,) so there may be a way of pinpointing the grave from that.  If you'd like to give me the name(s) you're looking for I'll see if I can help.

You can get a copy of the MIs from Cleveland, N.Yorkshire and South Durham FHS available through Genfair

Nannawilk

Offline maureen39

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have MIs for Topcliffe Saint Columba but unfortunately it doesn't include a plan.  However it is split into sections (N,S,E,W and terraces etc.,) so there may be a way of pinpointing the grave from that.  If you'd like to give me the name(s) you're looking for I'll see if I can help.

You can get a copy of the MIs from Cleveland, N.Yorkshire and South Durham FHS available through Genfair

Nannawilk

Thank you Nannawilk, that would be wonderful.
This is the information (Transcription) I got from the North Yorkshire County Record Office for all three burial entries.
And also copies of the burial entries.

15th Sept 1808 Richard Ramshaw a faithful diligent curate for upwards of 40 years in this parish.He was also master of the free school 41 years. Died 13th Sept of old age aged 77 years

Richards Wife.14 January 1792 Mrs Elizabeth Ramshaw of Topcliffe wife of the Revd Mr Richard Ramshaw of Topcliffe curate. Died 11 Jan of cold and consumption aged 61 years

His Father.21st October 1786 Mr Richard Ramshaw of Topcliffe,late of Scorton. Died 19th Oct of old age aged 84years.

Hope you have some luck and I am very grateful for your help Thank you.
Maureen.

Offline maureen39

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet would be to hope that someone has done monumental inscriptions for this graveyard.  To find out, I'd contact the family history society that covers that area.  There should be a list of family history societies on the genuki website somewhere.  Sorry, its rather late and I should be in bed, or I'd look it up myself!

Thankyou Corrine,
I did as you said and looked on the Genuki,I found maps of the graveyard which I saved but have had difficulty viewing them, however the numbered graves dont really help me as I  dont have grave numbers for my ancestors burials, Im hoping to get some  help from Nannawilk who says she has the MIs so lets wait and see, fingers crossed.
Maureen

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

I'm sorry but there are no inscriptions for any RAMSHAWs. I am surprised as you would think a curate would have some sort of memorial. I have read through it all to make sure they hadn't been missed in the index and there are lots of fallen and illegible stones so maybe it is one of those.  I checked the National Burial Index and they are all buried at Topcliffe St. Columba.

Sorry, that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Nannawilk

Offline maureen39

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

I'm sorry but there are no inscriptions for any RAMSHAWs. I am surprised as you would think a curate would have some sort of memorial. I have read through it all to make sure they hadn't been missed in the index and there are lots of fallen and illegible stones so maybe it is one of those.  I checked the National Burial Index and they are all buried at Topcliffe St. Columba.

Not to worry, but thank you so very much for trying, I know it was a very long time ago.

Maureen

Sorry, that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Nannawilk

Offline maureen39

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 January 11 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Im so sorry Nannawilk, it would appear I made a mess of my last reply to your  posting. ::)
I quoted in the wrong place :-[

I was wondering if it was at all possible that the Ramshaws were buried in another churchyard! and not St Columba.
Does the burial index mention that particular church?
Im curious because it mentions Richard being a diligent curate for upwards of 40 years in this parish.
Does the word (parish) cover anywhere else in the area or does it just mean Topcliffe?
Im so sorry if I appear vague but Im not yet familiar with the terminoligy.
I also ask, because Richard was also licensed to the perpetual Curacy of Marton on the Moor in 1770, just a thought, but could he be buried in that churchyard? Is that place part of the Parish?
Im possibly clutching at straws here. but worth a try.

Maureen

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 January 11 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Morning Maureen,
It does say on the NBI that they are all buried in Topcliffe St. Columba and as you have information from Northallerton of the burial entries this would seem to confirm this. There are quite a lot of completely illegible inscriptions (and the one you need is very old!!) so I can only guess you are one of the unlucky ones. To quote from the introduction to the MIs
"The main section of the churchyard is well looked after but much clearing of stones has been done in the past and some of these can be found in pieces on the west terraces which are in very poor condition. Efforts were made to unearth and clean as much as was possible without disturbing the natural habitat during May when the undergrowth was low but some kerb plots and small pieces were possibly overlooked"

Apart from this there are a lot of overgrown and unreadable stones still in place, including some table tombs.

I don't know where you go from here, maybe someone with a bit more experience will reply.  Maybe you could ontact the church to see what records they have??

Sorry couldn't help

Cheers

Nannawilk