Author Topic: !861 census lookup in Weston please.  (Read 2399 times)

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
!861 census lookup in Weston please.
« on: Saturday 16 April 05 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could some kind person find George Dowding b. 1840 in Weston under Penyard. He was a grocer's porter.

The poor soul was a lunatic and a patient in Burghill Asylum in the 1871-1891 censuses.

I hope it doesn't run in the family!

::)poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline bagpuss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: !861 census lookup in Weston please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 05 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Poirot,

I think we're all a little bit mad in this game   ;D  Had a look on the 1861 - Weston under Penyard but no George Dowding - they must have locked him away by then, but did find a family of Dowdings which might be yours!  Here they are just in case -

Green Way, Weston under Penyard

James Dowding       60     Head     Mar     Gardener               Hereford, Weston
Ann      ''                  30     Wife      Mar     Gardeners wife            ''         Brampton Abbots
Thomas   ''               21      Son      Unm    Mason                          ''        Weston
Richard     ''             16      Son      Unm     Ag Lab                         ''            ''

Have included a link which I think you will find interesting, it seems if you want to locate George he may be in Monmouthshire!!!!

http://www.smr.herefordshire.gov.uk/education/public%20health/The%20Hereford%20Lunatic%20Asylum.htm

Have got the 1841 and 1851, so if you want another look-up just shout.

Lots of Luck
Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wilson - Coleorton Leicesershire/ Swadlincote Derbyshire.
Bundy - Ross Herefordshire/ Birmingham
Dugdale - Isle of Man

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census lookup in Weston please.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 05 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I have the family you found as Richard is my great grandfather but I would love to take you up on your offer to search the 1841 census.

George may be the son of William & Mary Dowding who should be living in WuP at that time. William would be about 35.

Regards,
poirot
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline bagpuss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: !861 census lookup in Weston please.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 05 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I've good news and bad news - I think I have located your family by using a name index search for Herefordshire, they are living in Lea, but no George I'm afraid, so still not able to prove he is their son, anyway heres what I've got for 1851 - (it wasn't in the best condition so a little difficult to read, please accept my apologies for any mistakes in transcribing)

Butchers Arms ?

William Dowding     42     Head     M     Butcher            Gloucestershire, Longhope
Mary A     ''              36     Wife      M     Butchers Wife   Herefordshire, Westbury
Frederic     ''            17     Son      Un    Butcher             Gloucestershire, Lea
Sarah     ''               13     Daur     Un                                       ''                 ''
Patience    ''            11     Daur                                                ''                 ''
Elizabeth     ''           8      Daur                                                ''                 ''
William      ''              7      Son                                                 ''                 ''
Mary A     ''               5      Daur                                                ''                 ''
Arthur Hilman          35   Lodger    M     Postman           Unknown

HO107/ 1976/ 309

They aren't in Weston in 1841 so may have already moved to Lea by this time.  The bad news is Lea is in the Gloucestershire Registration District in 1841, and I haven't got that one   :'(   I have got the 1861 for Herefordshire though and it contains the village of Lea, but guess what - they're not here.  ???   I had a quick look on the 1871 and can see that by this time they are living in Longhope, Gloucestershire so may'be they are already there by 1861.

It would be worth your while posting a look-up request on the Gloucestershire pages for 1841 (Lea) and 1861 (Longhope) and hopefully some kind soul will come up with all the answers!!

Anyway best of luck
Sue

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wilson - Coleorton Leicesershire/ Swadlincote Derbyshire.
Bundy - Ross Herefordshire/ Birmingham
Dugdale - Isle of Man