Author Topic: Sarah Clark.  (Read 2361 times)

Offline a1424

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Clark.
« on: Wednesday 26 January 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I am not to sure if this is the right board to post this question.I am trying to find details about a Sarah Clark who left from Glasgow to Rhode Island.

From the details i have Sarah was born in England in 1849 then her parents John Clark and Hannah Jackson moved Glasgow very soon after.I can find her in Scotland census of 1851 and 1861.

Them i am sure i have Sarah again then in Cranstron Rhode Island,she marries a Joseph Hume in 1867 born 1833 Scotland.I can find them in a few American census records with various children.It looks as if Sarah dies in 1927 back in Rhode Island.

I am trying to find records on how she got to America,i asume she must have left between 1861 and 1867. I have a full Ancestry sub,but nothing is coming up.I have tried to track Joseph Hume also,but all i can find on him is the 1841 and 1851 census in Scotland.

Any Ideas ?
Thanks
a1424.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Clark.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello a1424

The marriage record gives the name of the parents of Joseph Hume as William Hume and Mary Craig Hume.

There is a marriage for William Hume and Mary Craig 22 Oct 1819 Campsie. Stirlingshire.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bj4/

The birth of Joseph Hume to William Hume and Mary Craig 18 March 1833 Campsie. Stirlingshire.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bj5/

www.castlegarden.org is another site for passenger lists but the eraly ones don't give much detail

http://castlegarden.org/

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 11 00:36 GMT (UK) »
In the 1900 US Census Sarah Hume lists her immigration year as 1866 and by this time her husband has passed away and she is a widow.

I found a record of Sarah Hume and her daughter Mary Hume traveling together from Boston, Massachusetts to England in July 1898 on the ship "Canada".  I wonder if she went home for a visit after her husband died.

I checked 1866-1868 incoming to the USA and found a Sarah Clark(e) age 18 traveling from England to New York with a John Clark(e) age 50. Maybe her father?

Joseph and Sarah Hume did not stay very long in Rhode Island. By 1870 they were in Massachusetts.
Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline a1424

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies,

The 1898 record looks very good,as i have found out that Joseph Hume died in 1894.And Sarah did have daughter called Mary.about the same age.

By that time her father John was dead,but her mother Hannah was still alive in
Durham England.And most of her siblings where still in Scotland.So it is good to known that she returned home at least once,to see her family.

I also found a record on the Castlegarden website,that shows a Sarah Clark arriving in New York in 1866 from Glasgow.The age it out a few years,but it may well be her.

I had been searching for Sarah on and off for a few years,with no luck.I am glad everything worked out for her.Still trying to get round my head how a young girl.Would leave all her family behind,and start a new life in America.

At least i know that she must have kept in contact will the family back home.

Thanks
a1424.