Author Topic: Waterloo lookup - John William Mills  (Read 3804 times)

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
Waterloo lookup - John William Mills
« on: Thursday 27 January 11 05:31 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great grandfather was a soldier in the Sihk Wars in India in the 1850s. We have much evidence to this fact.

Family legend goes, however, that his parents did not want him to become a soldier, and this had to do with his father's experiences at the Battle of Waterloo. His father was a veternarian by trade, and the story goes that he did not fight at the Battle, but had the responsibility of looking after the horses. We have no evidence at this time to prove that this story is true, so I am now trying to locate some evidence to determine the truth one way or the other.

The man who the story claims should have been at the Battle of Waterloo was named John William Mills, born on 12/7/1790 in Dedham, Essex, to Munson and Jane Mills. He was baptised in Dedham on 19/12/1790. We have no information on his life between the years of 1790 and 1823 - the Battle of Waterloo took place during this time. I am aware that there were approximately 15-16 men known by the name of John Mills at the battle.

John William Mills would marry three times in his life, 1st - to Sarah Bird in c1823 (location unknown at this stage - possibly Nayland, Suffolk), 2nd - to Sarah Polley in c1830 and 3rd - to Rebecca Hall on 2/3/1848 at Stoke by Nayland, Suffolk. John  would have 6 children altogether (3 to his 1st wife and 3 to his second). Their names are William Munson (our Sihk war soldier), George, Augustine Herbert, Walter John Polley, Coburg and Victoria. All were born in Nayland, Suffolk.

John William Mills would die in Nayland, Suffolk on 2/10/1865 and was buried in the same town on 6/10/1865.

If anyone is prepared to do a Battle of Waterloo look up to see if this man is located in the list, I would greatly appreciate it.
Ireland- Harpur, Copeland, Longridge, Hayes<br />Wiltshire-  Mills, Ingram, Hill, Lucas, Moon, Dew<br />Devon- Underdown, Bishop, Harding<br />Cornwall- Teague, Rowe, Long, Bray, Trounson, James, Bosanko, Jewell, Pollard, Rundle, Mutton, Hand, Floyd, Rodda<br />France- DeLaine<br />Suffolk- Mills, Bird<br />Essex- Mills, Kent, Ruffell<br />Glamorgan, Wales- Morgan, David, Jones, Thomas, Watkins, Morris

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo lookup - John William Mills
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 January 11 09:01 GMT (UK) »
hello eramophla
i,ve just had a look in find my past army pension records and there are 150 j mills and 4 j w mills now none show as in the vet corps so did a google search and apparently the royal vet corps as we know it didn,t start till 1880 and the first recognised vet was a john shipp who was in the 11th light dragoons this was in 1795 , so although your rellie was know doubt there at waterloo it,s a case of finding him amongst another regiment probably associated to horses now looking through the 150 records there are 4 that were born in an area near dedham none are early enough for your j mills .
have you looked at the seax site this is the essex county council record site on the home page on the right hand side look for essex ancestors click on that then where it says choose a letter click on d find dedham and you,ll see that most years are there for searching for yor j mills it means wading through the actual parish registers but worth it i,ve been through all of them myself looking for my rellies , hope i haven,t bored you to death by now only you probably already know of seax but it saves time posting it later !! ;D
best wishes
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:15 GMT (UK) »
First of all, veterinary surgeon was an officer rank and therefore regardless of whether he was at Waterloo I'd advise looking at some Army lists of the time (or asking for lookups on here).
Perhaps he wasn't at Waterloo but nevertheless there's some kernel of truth to the story.

Veterinary surgeons were appointed regimentally at this time. As trevor has found out there wasn't a specific corps, and the same was true of "regular" surgeons too. Just one per appropriate regiment usually.

Skimming the Waterloo roll, the Vet Surgeons listed are:
Francis Dalton, 1st Life Guards
Jeremiah Field, 2nd Life Guards
J.Siddale, Royal Horse Guards
W.Ryding, 1st Dragoons
John Trigg, 2nd Dragoons
Richard Vincent, 6th Dragoons
R.Darville, 7th Hussars
A.Maurice, 7th Hussars
H.Sanneman, 10th Hussars
James Castley, 12th Light Dragoons
J.Constant, 13th Light Dragoons
? Dallwig, 15th Hussars
J.Jons, 16th Light Dragoons
David Pilcher, 18th Hussars
Lucas Pulsford, 18th Hussars
John Shipp, 23rd Light Dragoons
Frederick Cherry, Royal Wagon Train

Alternatively he was at Waterloo as a private soldier and the veterinary angle is a false lead here. Have you checked out the 15-16 with the right name?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
hi neil
i had a look at the army lists earlier and found these records for a john mills but no j w mills.
trevor

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
and one more , this john shipp i found his name else where with the 11th dragoons but is your posting with the 23rd i take is the correct regiment ?
trevor

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 January 11 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information Trevor and TMo. It is a step in the right direction, if no evidence as yet. If it is any help at all, the family story specifically states that he served with a troop of Dragoons, but gives no more detail that that. It is a pity that no one has investigated this story earlier.

Yes, I have used seax and I have looked for John William Mills on there. His baptism is viewable on the records, recorded simply under the name 'John Mills'. The John 'William' Mills appears later on census records and on his children's marriage records, obviously as a tool to identify him from other people named John Mills. So I would not be surprised if he was at the battle he would be recorded simply as John Mills.

The veternarian information could also be misleading. It is definetly recorded that he was a vet in later life, but I have no evidence of when this vocation started. I have a little theory that maybe he wasn't a vet at the time of the battle - and seeing what occured at the battle may have made him want to become one. Just an idea.
Ireland- Harpur, Copeland, Longridge, Hayes<br />Wiltshire-  Mills, Ingram, Hill, Lucas, Moon, Dew<br />Devon- Underdown, Bishop, Harding<br />Cornwall- Teague, Rowe, Long, Bray, Trounson, James, Bosanko, Jewell, Pollard, Rundle, Mutton, Hand, Floyd, Rodda<br />France- DeLaine<br />Suffolk- Mills, Bird<br />Essex- Mills, Kent, Ruffell<br />Glamorgan, Wales- Morgan, David, Jones, Thomas, Watkins, Morris

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 September 21 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just stumbled upon your request for information on John Willam Mills. Did you have any success? - If not, then you have been looking in the wrong place. 
I have a database of all the British soldiers who were present at Waterloo....the John Mills I have was a private in the 4th Regiment of Foot.  Born in Needham, Norfolk in 1793.  If this is your man then, please contact me for more information.
Regards  Edward

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 September 21 21:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry for my recent post - but it seems I have the wrong John William Mills.