Author Topic: CARLYON family  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
CARLYON family
« on: Sunday 17 April 05 02:07 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone also researching the Carlyon family. Mine seemed to mainly come from the St.Keverne area.

cheers,

Wendy

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CARLYON family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 May 05 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi WendyMc,

I, too, am researching the Carlyon Family.  However mine seem to be located in and around Wendron/Sithney/Helston area.

Regards

KA

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 May 05 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi KA,

I'm sure we have spoken before about our Carlyons. Yours if I remember correctly was Francis Carlyon.

Don't know if there is a link for sure but all Carlyons do seem to hook up somewhere along the way.

best of luck,

cheers,

Wendy  :)

Offline hammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 June 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Reading your posts on the Carlyon family I was just wondering if we have a connection.

My husband's ggg aunt was Catherine Semmens who married William Carlyon (chr. 31 Mar 1816 St Keverne) parents William Carlyon and Jane Williams.

Catherine and William emigrated to Aust in 1850 aboard the Fatima and settled in the Goulburn Valley.  They had a total of 14 children !!

Do you have any connection to these Carlyons ?

Kindest regards

Jen (in Australia too !)

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 05 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Very nice to hear from you.

Yes, there is a connection as I have found with most of the Carlyons of Cornwall.

Here goes:

Sampson Carlyon b. 13/3/1749/50 and Thomasine Evans married 30/10/1774 and had 8 children that I am aware of.

One of them, another Sampson,  married Sarah Ann Waters. His brother William Carlyon married Jane Williams.

The connection between myself and your husband begins with Sampson & Thomasine Carlyon.

I have a fair amount on the Carlyons and have also found several other researchers/rellies from my direct line. There is a couple of contacts from your husbands line as well.

I'm happy to share any information that may interest you.

Kind regards,

Wendy

Offline hammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 June 05 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Great to make contact with you.

I love the way these Cornish families re-cycled their names.

So if I have it straight, "your" Sampson would have been the uncle of "our" William who married Catherine Semmens.

Of course just to simplify things "our" William also had a brother named Sampson (b abt 1812) and of course his second son was named Sampson also (b abt 1838).

Would be delighted to have more contacts from William's line as we are keen to find out some more on Catherine Semmens if possible - the Carlyons seem to be very well documented and I don't know that I can add much to the huge amount of work that has been done already !!!

Hear from you soon.

Regards

Jen

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 05 12:47 BST (UK) »

I mention this in passing, it may or may not be or interest.  I had reason to do a search of 1901 to 1905 Carlyon deaths over the weekend.  I came across Samson's death. I didn't take any notes, as he isn't in my direct tree, but on reading your postings, he must be one of yours.

I mention for information only, you may already have it.

Regards

KA

Offline bdoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 June 05 17:49 BST (UK) »
I just joined and am also a Carlyon researcher.  My ancestor is Mary Carlyon, born 1823 in St. Austell.  Her father was Thomas Carlyon and her mother was Loveday Clemo.

Thomas Carlyon first married Elizabeth Tonkin and fathered 6 children.  He then married Loveday Clemo and fathered 8 more children, one of which was my Mary who married William Kessell. 

I have information on most of these children and also the ancestors of Thomas Carlyon and Loveday Clemo.

Would love to hear from another Carlyon researcher.

Offline Wendy Mc

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Serendipity'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 June 05 03:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome Bdoe,

Looks like we all have plenty to share on the Carlyons.

I will send you and Jen a personal message so we can talk more.

Thanks KA for letting us know that.

talk soon,

cheers,

Wendy  :)