Author Topic: Isobel Dallas Harper, b. abt 1867 in Wick  (Read 6363 times)

Offline SonofSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Isobel Dallas Harper, b. abt 1867 in Wick
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 January 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if we're looking at the same information.  I am looking at the image on ScotlandsPeople.  When I magnify Isobel's age it is pretty clear that it's 24, not 34.  Ross Pollitt's age (directly above Isobel's) is 34 and you can see that the first digit is clearly different from the first digit in Isobel's age).  When I look at the information at normal magnification it's hard to tell the difference.

I surely hope this is not a case of wishful thinking because everything else fits!

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 January 11 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think that Carole means that the transcription (probably Ancestry) is in error. The image is definitely 24.

JL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 January 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes - Ancestry only have transcriptions - the images can only be viewed on Scotlands People
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline SonofSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 January 11 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Although I have access to Ancestry I've pretty well stopped using it for my research in Scotland since I've been led down the garden path too many times in the last few weeks.  Looks to me as if the individual who did the transcription for Ancestry made the same error I did.   :o

Since pinning down Isobel's birth year I've also been able to gather an amazing amount of information about her sons and even a couple of daughters-in-law.

Thanks again.