Author Topic: Griffith family in Carlow  (Read 45827 times)

Offline debs35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith family in Carlow
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
my great grandmother was Anna Maria Griffith born in Rosdillig to George Griffith and Mary Leech.  Can find no record or George's birth or his father Edward.  Can you help at all?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
my great grandmother was Anna Maria Griffith born in Rosdillig to George Griffith and Mary Leech.  Can find no record or George's birth or his father Edward.  Can you help at all?

based on the years of the civil births for George and Mary's children (1865 to 1868), then George would have been born in the 1840s or earlier, so you would have to search for a baptism for him. Do you know Griffith family religion ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline debs35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 May 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
I have looked on the baptisms on irishgenealogy.ie but cannot find any appropriate baptisms. There seem to be a lot of Griffiths but not George or Edward at the right time.   I know Anna Maria Griffith was Church of Ireland. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 May 11 19:07 BST (UK) »
The Civil and Church of Ireland parish for Rosdellig is Kiltennell, which is included on IrishGenealogy, but only has records back to about 1837... which might be a bit too late for George's baptism

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline rgriffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 01:13 BST (UK) »
I have found the whole family in Rosdilig. Try checking here:

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/search.jsp?name2=&name=George+Griffith&location=Kiltennel&dd=&mm=&yy=&submit=Search&sort=&pageSize=100&type=&diocese=&parish=&century=&decade=

This should show your George and Mary's wedding in 2 Feb 1859. There are 8 children listed in the baptism records. There are original documents that you can view for free. This site let's you take copies of the sections that apply. I encourager to load them up in your viewer as they often contain more details that are not recorded.

By the way George's father is listed as Edward Griffith and Mary's is Joseph Leech.

If you have any male Griffith's in your line I would suggest that you get your DNA tested as there is a Griffith DNA website. I found two matches there.
Griffith. Machan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 07:58 BST (UK) »
I think debs35 already has that marriage & baptism information for Kiltennel parish. [see reply #9] George's baptism is the problem, since it seems to be before the start of records for the parish

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline debs35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, George's baptism is the problem.  Maybe he or Edward were born elsewhere? Will look at other parishes.  Do you know how Griffith family came to be in Ireland as it is a welsh name?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
I presume you have already seen the 1852 Griffith entries in Rosdellig for a George and Richard on the valuation ?

These could be related to your Edward and George ...

You could check the Tithe records (c1820/1840) to see if these Griffiths were in Rosdellig at that time - unfortunately these are not available online at the moment.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline rgriffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Great - it is better to have things twice - than not at all. Here is some more information.

For years I focused on my Canadian Griffith roots in Ontario as there were many families to try to separate. By neccesity I had to become familiar with many groups that came from ireland to Canada. I then managed to find my own connection to the south of ireland through a family letter from 1892. This lead me the Kilkenny - Carlow area.

The Griffith - Leach connections are multi-generational. Here are some specific early ones that I have:

William Griffith  abt. 1775 m. Catherine Leach b: 1775 b. Ridge, Co. Carlow County Father: Matthew Leach Mother: Elizabeth Edwards  (Note: CATHERINE GRIFFITH Mother's name was CATHERINE LEECH. She had one brother named GEORGE LEECH who married SARAH MAY.)

RICHARD GRIFFITH (ROBERT) was born July 22, 1817, and died August 3, 1893 in Franktown, Lanark Co., Ontario, Canada. He married EDITHA LEACH Abt. 1836-1865, daughter of THOMAS LEACH and FRANCES COOKE. She was born August 16, 1821, and died July 11, 1893 in Franktown, Lanark Co., Ontario, Canada.

Note: Thomas Leech and William. Jr. and William. Sr.*, also came on the passenger ship the “Maria".  Thomas & Williamm. Jr., settled on Part Lots 12 & 13 on Concession 8, Beckwith and Wm. Sr., settled on Part Lot 12 in the 9th Concession which would be just across the road from Robert Griffith b. 1776 in Enniscorthy Co. Wexford.

*William Leech Sr. b. 1750 d. 1798 (at Vinegar Hill) was originally from Clonjordan, parish of Templeshanbo, near Enniscorthy.

Marriage Anne EDWARDS b: 1752 in (Wicklow) Ireland Married: 15 Jun 1777 in Ireland

Children:

1. George LEACH b: 1778 in Ireland
2. Anne LEACH b: Cir 1779 in Ireland
3. William Henry LEACH b: 1780 in Enniscorthy (Wexford) Ireland
4. James LEACH b: Abt 1783 in Ireland
5. Elizabeth "Eliza" LEACH b: 1786 in Knockalane (Kilkenny) Ire
6. Susannah LEACH b: 27 May 1788 in Kilkenny (Carlow) Ireland
7.Elizabeth Ann LEACH b: Cir 1790 in Ireland
8.Thomas LEACH b: 1793 in (Wexford) IRE
9.Samuel "Leech" LEACH b: 1799 in (Wexford) IRE
10. Esther LEACH b: 1801 in (Wexford) IRE

You will note that the 1801 birthdate for Esther is hard to reconcile when we know that William Sr. died at Vinegar Hill in 1798.

I hope this helps folks. 

Griffith. Machan