Author Topic: 1841 census Thomas WILKS  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Thomas WILKS
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 January 11 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Or, is there a list of Worcestershire strays which can be checked? Would someone have access to such a source?

Jamie
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Thomas WILKS
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 January 11 23:16 GMT (UK) »
The master John Hatch the cordwainer is on the 1851 census but does not have an apprentice so I wonder if it was your Thomas but there is a 5 year old Thomas Wilks on the 1841 census who could be the right age in 1844 I think its not too clear I am assuming the Apprentice list was Parish apprentices as it mentions the parishes involved and they would expect a 14year old to find its own employment and only found work for much younger children the earlier ones were 7 years old and later this was raised to 9 years old they were not allowed to marry until they were out of the apprenticeship at 21 (or 23 which ever was agreed)
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.