Author Topic: Thornton family Preston Lancs  (Read 12272 times)

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thornton family Preston Lancs
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 February 11 07:49 GMT (UK) »
It may also be worthwhile applying for James Thorntons will to see if there is a mention of Thomas N.   James died on the 26th February, 1876 aged 64 at The Mount Fernyhalgh and his will proved on the 29th March, 1876.

Blimey, I didn't think to lookup James's will yesterday, I'll try and sneak back to the RO tomorrow, what an idiot I am

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 February 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Simon,

If there was no baptisim records for James or Hannah at the R.O where would i look? or where would i go from here does this mean i am stuck or is it still possible to find out the information?,
I've ordered Thomas snr's marrage certificate not James so will that give both his parents names including mothers maiden name?.
I wonder if there are baptisim records for his siblings? John c1801 who was 8 in the 1810 catholic census, and Margaret c1800 who was 9?.
regards Keith

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 February 11 13:03 GMT (UK) »
It may also be worthwhile applying for James Thorntons will to see if there is a mention of Thomas N.   James died on the 26th February, 1876 aged 64 at The Mount Fernyhalgh and his will proved on the 29th March, 1876.

Blimey, I didn't think to lookup James's will yesterday, I'll try and sneak back to the RO tomorrow, what an idiot I am

Simon

The Lancashire Records Office do not hold wills after 1858, I didn't know that until today  ???
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I still can't find a baptism for James or Margaret, but there appears to be no Parish Records for St. Wilfrids/St.Marys RC and St.Johns C of E from 1803 - 1813

I managed to find these Thornton baptisms at St. Wilfrids RC

19 Mar 1796   Thomas  son of  Thomas & Helen
19 Jun 1798   John  son of Thomas & Helen
7  Mar  1801  Robert  son of Thomas & Helen

Ellen is quite often spelt as Helen in RC registers

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:46 GMT (UK) »
1869 Gilletts Directory of Preston
James Thornton,  Wine and Spirit Merchant and agent for Findlater Dublin Porter, 9 Lord St, Home address  33 Winkley Square (quite posh)

Thomas N Thornton,  Wine and Spirit Merchant (jas.. Thornton), home address 33 Winkley Square

James Thornton Jnr,   Wine and Spirit Merchant, home address  Nut Cottage, Fulwood

1873 Preston & District Directory

James Thornton  details as above, home address The Mount, Fernyhalgh (where he passed away in 1876)

Mr Thomas Thornton,  34 Winkley Square (the only person on that page listed as Mr)

1877 Mannex Directory of Preston and District

Thomas N Thornton,  (James Thornton)  home address Grimsargh House, Grimsargh

1881 Mannex Directory of Preston & District

Thomas N Thornton,  as 1877

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon
Thanks again for the information, but could i ask for your advice again?
When you sent me the 1810/20 catholic census you said that there were two family's,

31 Bridge st
Ellen 52c , Margaret 19, John 18 and James 13

Molyneux square
Ellen 45, John 22, Robert 19 and James 9

which do you think is more likely to be the correct family?
Keith

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
James Thorntonn Jnr wine and spirit merchant Nut cottage Fulwood, is this Thomas Nathaniel's brother?

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 10 February 11 14:01 GMT (UK) »
James Thorntonn Jnr wine and spirit merchant Nut cottage Fulwood, is this Thomas Nathaniel's brother?

I would imagine he is

It was a pleasure meeting you today, I'm glad your visit to Preston wasn't completely wasted

Regards

Simon

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Just to resurrect a zombie but I just found a tidbit relating to this while doing some online research on my  own hareholme ancestors.

But these Booths are mentioned in Newbiggings History of Rossendale relating to the construction of Hareholme mill. The book says a fair bit about them.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.