Author Topic: Davidson-Flood Family Gippsland.  (Read 4959 times)

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Davidson-Flood Family Gippsland.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 April 05 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi chrissy

Eve Langley left Australia on the Monowai 19th Feb 1932 and arrived in Wellington 22 February 1932.

Ahe joined her mother and sister at Wellington Street, Paekakariki.  Her sister June was married and pregnant.

Maybe a posting on the NZ board may help you.

Cheers.
Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 April 05 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi gennig :)
  Just looking through some old notes,and saw that child no 3 of thomas and jane, was called jane(mira's little sister) also,but she died aged 1 in 1863. Mira called her oldest child Ethel jane(Eve),possibly after deceased sibling or mum?.............chrissy.

Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi chrissy

Sending you an article regarding Eve Langley.  It says her mother Myra married Patrick CULLEN in 1916 after Arthur Alexander LANGLEY died in 1915.

They married in Victoria - reg no. 8255.

Myra was a hotelkeeper at Crossover, Gippsland in 1914.

Cheers
Genni.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline andrew999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 July 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi gennig,
I've just joined rootschat after finding the posts by chrissy & yourself. Eve Langley is my late grandmother & I've recently visited my uncle, her son Karl-Marx. I have images of some old photos & family history that may be of interest to chrissy & I'm interested in finding more connections, but I see she hasn't been online for some time & as a newby I don't know how to contact her; perhaps you can help?
My understanding is Thomas Davidson rebuilt the Sir Walter Scott Hotel at Tambo Crossing after gold mining at Ballarat. Mira returned with her two young girls, Eve & June & worked there for the brother(s) who'd inherited it; for little remuneration. Mira later moved to Melbourne & then to NZ with June.
The two biographies of Eve are a great source of family history, but are light on detail beyond Mira.

From wikipedia: "A hotel was established at Tambo Crossing on the east side of the river in this period, first being officially licensed in 1849 with the name of The Tambo Inn. In 1854 Duncan McDougall took over the inn. The hotel was renamed the Sir Walter Scott Hotel in the late 1860s. In 1890 a new hotel was built on the western side of the river beside the newly aligned road between Bruthen and Ensay, but kept the "Sir Walter Scott" name. The hotel burnt down on 8 September 1961 and was not rebuilt. The current information board is on the site of the former hotel, with the Great Alpine Road also passing over part of the site."

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 July 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
Just spotted you post :D

Sad to say,like Chrissy, gennig has not been on Rootschat for many years.

I wonder if there is anything others here could help you with.  Many have very good and extensive resources (offline)

Let us know if you have specific queries.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrew999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 July 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
thanks for replying; I'm interested in expanding my knowledge of the family history, so any help is much appreciated.
Thomas Davidson & Jane Flood had 8 children that survived infancy & some stayed in the Gippsland region, so I'm guessing there's quite a few family threads & distant cousins out there!
Cheers,
Andrew
PS I'm in NZ

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 03:51 BST (UK) »
And some interesting info on the following thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799843.0

I see Chrissy has been online earlier this month (Sept 2018)   :) and gennig in August 2018  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.