Author Topic: GRAY/ HOWELL families of Mere, Wilts.  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Lyndairish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GRAY/ HOWELL families of Mere, Wilts.
« on: Monday 31 January 11 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the parents of Albin Gray b 17 Feb 1803 in Mere - d 21 Jan 1873 in Burton near Mere. He married Letitia Howell b 1799 -  d 1894 in Mere some time before 1828 the year their first child was born. They had at least 9 children, my husband is descended from James b 01 Mar 1840 in Mere d 12 Jan 1914 in Merlin, Ontario, Canada. Any information on this family is very welcome, especially their life in Mere.
I am researching my Great Grandparents James (1851) O'Neill and wife Sarah (1848). He was a carriage maker living in Whitechurch, Co Wexford.

Thomas (1843) Walsh and his wife May(1844) a farmer from Rochestown, Co Kilkenny, Ireland

William Washbrook 1776 family of  Shotteswell, Warwickshire, England.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline vazzycat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: GRAY/ HOWELL families of Mere, Wilts.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

Sadly couldn't find a baptism for either Albin GRAY/GREY 1799-1818 or Letitia HOWELL/HOWEL 1795-1820 Baptism Index Mere.  :-[

But I did find their marriage  ;D :-
 - 16 Apr 1827, Albin GRAY, b, Mere, signed X, Letitia HOWELL, Spr, Mere, signed X, Witnesses James HOWELL & Willm COWARD (he looks like a clerk who is a wit on loads of the marriages.)

Vaz    :)
BRIDGES - Norfolk, Liverpool/Conwy
FLETCHER - Salford/Wavertree
ATHERTON - Gorleston-on-Sea

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lyndairish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRAY/ HOWELL families of Mere, Wilts.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 February 11 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Vaz,
Thank you so much that is great news I was hitting a wall with them. I will add this and see if it brings up anything new. Letitia's father was a James Howell, I wonder if thats him or a brother ?  I was going through  Mere census records to try and see how many Gray/ Greys there were in 1841 and I came upon William Coward and he was the parish clerk alright.
Many thanks for your kind help,

Regards Lynda
I am researching my Great Grandparents James (1851) O'Neill and wife Sarah (1848). He was a carriage maker living in Whitechurch, Co Wexford.

Thomas (1843) Walsh and his wife May(1844) a farmer from Rochestown, Co Kilkenny, Ireland

William Washbrook 1776 family of  Shotteswell, Warwickshire, England.