Author Topic: Edward Jones _ Architect  (Read 52150 times)

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
  • If I'm not on line, I'm probably renovating .
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jones _ Architect
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
If lot 45 is held by Glebe, is Palmer incorrect when he  says:
 “The whole of the houses numbered 8 to 10 [Queen Street] were I believe, built by Mr John Jones,

Unfortunately, the records are a bit thin and ( to my untrained eye) apparently undated.
Also, Anne Jones' will of 1815 names numerous occupiers of her lands. They are not revealed in any search. >:(
But, I think Palmer is correct. When it came to the nonconformist Jones' he appears well informed. If you read your post #100 above, you/we discuss Sarah Jones and Caroline Evans. They were cousins and her brother was Edward Evans of Manchester. In his preface, Palmer (1888) thanks Edward for his assistance.
At least, I can feel more confident that land ownership is the correct term to use. Cheers G
Edward George JONES Wrexham Wales/Staines Middlesex
Edward Llewellyn JONES Staines/ Wellington NZ
Thomas & Harriett BOSHER aka BOWSHER Surrey/NZ
Joseph DALY /Mullingar, Westmeath,Ire./Wellington NZ
Parker of Welburn, Yorkshire

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Thursday 21 December 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I asked for help on the Clwyd mailing list, this is a reply.

The tithe maps and schedules which are online through the NLW site were prepared in the early 1840?s. So you will needs to consider the arrangements that the Established Church had in place for the management of its property - the glebe - at that time.

I would suggest, as a rule of thumb, that the occupants paid a rent to the Established Church, which may have been exempt of the tithe payment. Other taxes that might have been in effect in Wrexham at the time would have been payable to the local tax collector.

Another possibility to consider is whether some of the houses in question were almshouses. In which case, another set of rules would probably be applicable.

Take a look at the following reference to get a general idea of how the established church manages its property holdings nowadays:

https://www.bwbllp.com/file/bwb-faithupdate-churchland-jan17-pdf

You might also find some useful information in Alfred Neobard Palmer?s ?Histories? of the area.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Thursday 21 December 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. :)
Now I understand Glebe. but  :-\ seems I have some tedious re-reading of Palmer ahead of me.
He does mention 40 year lease of some land.
This may be why Anne's will only refers to her land in (at that time) nearby towns.
Cheers Gary

Offline nzenigma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Sunday 24 December 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
The tithe maps and schedules which are online through the NLW site were prepared in the early 1840?s.
You might also find some useful information in Alfred Neobard Palmer?s ?Histories? of the area.

Sorry to be still grinding away on this bone:  :-\  to quote Palmer;  "In 1818, in the rates books, it is called `The Irish hall` and in 1827, ` Manchester square`, but it was more commonly called Jones`s square. "

Do the rate books still exist?

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 28 December 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to find references to these rate books but just drawn a blank. Perhaps Denbighshire Archives may be able to help, but I`ve found nothing on their website.
http://archives.denbighshire.gov.uk/

The only other thing of interest was in the History of the Town of Wrexham.
page 239 The yearly meetings during the early part of this century (19th) were  held in the open air, in Jones square in Queen Street . Among the preachers were the famous John Elias and Thomas Charles of Bala.

http://www.thomascharlesinstitute.com/styled/styled/JohnElias.html
Patronymics were in use here.
His parents were Elias Jones and Jane Joseph. They lived at Crymllwyn-bach with Elias's paternal grandparents, John Cadwaladr and Ann Humphreys.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)