Author Topic: Angelfish58's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 30804 times)

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: Angelfish58's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness, I tried to get a copy of this document from TNA earlier this year but couldn't. It was "Lowson v Lowson Assignment of Matthew Dennison of Darlington and his wife Jane,daughter of Francis Lowson,deceased, to Rev Henry Vane of Longnewton,prebendary of Durham Cathedral of £500  bequeathed to Jane Lowson by her father (1766-87)"

My OH's a welder, could he really be descended from these people?  ;D Deb, you really have given me a lot to work on there. I've been focused so much on the Dennysons I'd ignored poor Dorothy completely  :-[ How exciting if this does turn out to be the right family.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 15:31 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of tempting looking Bowes Wills on the North East Inheritance Database , some early ones are from Heighington which is where the Loyzeluers were from, there's one from Streatlam and a couple from Darlington, hmmm
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 15:35 GMT (UK) »
the Elizabeth Bowes of Gibside was the grandmother of Mary Eleanor Bowes, the richest heiress in England of her time, and the woman who put the Bowes in Bowes-Lyon. Wendy Moore's book 'Wedlock' tells her history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Eleanor_Bowes,_Countess_of_Strathmore_and_Kinghorne
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting Osprey, another branch of the Bowes than - presuming the name has a common root that is.

Deb,I've downloaded that Will,I thought it was worth a punt. It'll take a bit of time to read it though due to the writing.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:18 GMT (UK) »
The missing marriage.

Seeing as they weren't your average Ag Labs maybe they married at which ever church was 'in' at that time.

You see that with St Phillips Birmingham, people came from all over the midlands to marry there.

So what would be 'in' ? I would start with Richmond follow by Northallerton.

I don't think either of those are online.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
That's a good thought Jaywit, I never thought of fashionable churches but it makes senses, maybe the missing baptisms too.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
i was driving home from work today and it occurred to me that maybe he as christened but is (heaven forbid) a heathen  :o ;D
i'm not christened either  ;D
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 19:08 GMT (UK) »
you could also try this

•   Manorial Records, after 1066 the land of England was divided into Manors granted to faithful servants of the King. These did not always correspond with the boundaries of villages, towns, parishes etc. and often had their own name.
Manorial Court Rolls these refer to two types of court, Baron Court & Lett Court the latter tends to deal with law and order, on the other hand Court Baron is concerned with recording those who held land from the manor. 
(Manorial) Rental, listing all the tenants in a manor their holdings and how much they paid in rent to the manor. copyhold (now called leasehold 19th c) if you lived in or owned a house that technically came under the Manor  upon death or any over reason for the property being passed to another party even down the family line you would have to apply to the lord of the manor to do so and his consent would have to be given – even in wills (these should be  recorded in the Manor estate documents and possibly the court rolls)
Manorial Accounts recorded the income and expenditure of the manor though these generally do not contain personal names.
Manorial Documents were written in Latin until 1733
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I really can't tell you all how grateful I am for the time and trouble you've taken  :-* I've learned such a lot and have so many new avenues to explore  it's more than I was hoping for to be honest.