Author Topic: Can someone explain this to me please?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline feefee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can someone explain this to me please?
« on: Tuesday 01 February 11 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage in Strokestown in 1839.  A baptism for a second child in 1845 in Kiltrustan, place of residence Lissonuffy.  I know the husband was from Longford and the wife Roscommon.   Presume it would be the wife's parish for marriage.  Is Strokestown in Lissonuffy (I'm not grasping the towland, parish thing

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone explain this to me please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Lissonuffy is a townland of about 168 acres, and seems to be located about 5km south of Strokestown.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Kiltrustan is also a townland and located about 5km north of Strokestown.

Based on the historic OSI maps there was an RC chapel located in the townland (it's shown on the 1820/40s and 1890s map).

see : RC Chapel, Kiltrustan

The 6" options are the older maps, the 25" option shows the c1890s map. The red lines indicate the borders of the townlands.  See an overall view of the townland slightly zoomed out for the one shown above : link

The RC parish for the area is Strokestown, and there also seems to have been an RC chapel in the town of Strokestown. Maybe the church in Kiltrustan was a chapel of ease for the parish.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 21:16 GMT (UK) »
For explanation of townland, Civil parish and Catholic parish, visit  http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=51430

Check your local library for the Resource county Roscommon CD. It has maps showing the location of townlands in all County Roscommon Civil parishes and Catholic parishes.
Strokestown Catholic parish includes the old Catholic parishes of Kiltrustan, Lissonuffy, part of Bumlin & Cloonfinlough.
The records for Strokestown, Kiltrustan, Lissonuffy & Cloonfinlough Catholic parishes 1830 - 1864, are on LDS film 989745.
What is the surname and townland in Lissonuffy?
I am researching Connor from Lissonuffy.

Offline feefee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  The names I am mainly researching are Hynes/Hines/McDonnell/McDaniel/O'Donnell/Brannigan.  I have witness names for Strokestown of Michael McDermott and Mary Hynes and witnesses in Kiltrustan of Michael and Mary Haydn.  If I check out other names that come into the tree they are all around Strokestown/Lissonuffy.  Coyne, McKeon, Donohoe, Cox, Fihily, Nary. The local prist in in the early 1850s wrote place of residence (unfortunatley mainly county), with names of parents and whether living or deceased.  Will  check through to see if there are any Connors.

Thanks again.