Author Topic: Thomas Ward & Mary ?? Marriage - Bluntisham or Witchford?  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Ward & Mary ?? Marriage - Bluntisham or Witchford?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 February 11 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Buying the birth certificate of Rose Anna Ward would be interesting but may give a different result to that expected.

On 25 June 1821 a Jane Ward was baptised at Ely Holy Trinity daughter of Thomas and Ann Ward, otp lab,

Birth registered March quarter of Rose Anna Ward, Ely district.

Baptism at Ely St. Mary 11 January 1842 Rose Anna Ward the daughter of Jane Ward sp of Union House.

Census gives Rose's place of birth as Ely.

I haven't looked to see what happened to Jane.

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 February 11 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if the confusion with the mother's names on the baptisms, i.e. Mary and Ann can be explained by the burial in 1831 at Witchford of a Mary Ann Ward otp aged 36?

Worth considering.

Selina

Offline tracerstlm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 February 11 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Oy!  You guys are amazing, first off - THANK YOU!  I don't know WHAT to think though!  I did "meet" someone on Ancestry.com who was descended from a Rose Anna Ward born in Ely in a workhouse - that is definitely NOT my Ward family (according to her and I think she was correct).  I'm most concerned with William's parentage, obviously, since he is my direct line.  Daniel Ward witnessed William Ward & Jane Golden's marriage (just got the certificate in the mail) in Witchford in October 1851 and he also is listed as the witness for their daughter, Elizabeth Ann Ward's marriage to John Thomas Washington.  Not that that helps in determining their mother at all.  :-(
GIBBS, WARD, WASHINGTON

Offline tracerstlm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 February 11 01:30 GMT (UK) »
P.S.  Pardon my ignorance, but what does "otp" mean?  (I'm still pretty green with all of this!)
GIBBS, WARD, WASHINGTON

Offline tracerstlm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 February 11 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Selina - I'm thinking about that Mary Ann Ward buried in Witchford in 1831.  I've run into that before, where a Mary Ann has gone by both names as well as one or the other.  Perhaps Edith, Thomas and William (b. 1818, 1826 & 1830 respectively) are the children of that Mary Ann Ward and Daniel and Rose Ann (b. 1835 & 1842 respectively) are the children of the second wife, Mary? 

Thomas Ward's brother was John Ward.  They were both born in Fenstanton and I found burial listings in Witchford for a Daniel Ward (b. 1757) and a Rose Ward (b. abt 1772) on David's link today... I think that might be their parents, Daniel & Rosamond Ward, originally from Fenstanton?  Daniel Ward (the elder) was the only Daniel Ward on the parish list a gentleman sent me from Fenstanton.  He was baptised in 1760, do you think he might have been born in 1757 but not baptised until 1760?  Did that happen, do you know?  His parents were listed as John & Edy Ward.  He also sent me the marriage entries - John Ward and Ede Muns.  When researching, I found an EDITH Muns.  I'm wondering if Ede/Edy is short for Edith?  It seems to me it would make sense that there are later generations with the same names - John, Thomas, Daniel, Edith, and Rose.... but then, everyone seems to be names Thomas, John, William, or George.  LOL.

My head is spinning! 
GIBBS, WARD, WASHINGTON

Offline santel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 February 11 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Do think about the MARY/ANN variants - I was thrown by my gg granny using either/both at various times throughout her life.

Good luck - from a Lans. Ward lass.
WARD - Kirkham/Treales, Lancashire.
MOORE - Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
VON BEVERHOUDT - Danish West Indies (US Virgin Islands).
WEIDENBACH -Harz Mt, Germany & Sth Aust. 
ANSPACH - Germany, Sussex, Eng & Broken Hill, NSW.
TELFORD - Ireland & Liverpool, Lancs.
HABBERMAN/HEBBERMAN - Germany & Sth Aust
BENSON - Ireland, Tasmania & Ballarat, NSW

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 February 11 04:43 GMT (UK) »
otp = of this parish. ie they were resident in the parish at the time of the marriage, not necessarily that they were born in the parish.

I'm pretty sure that William comes from the first marriage, which is proving to be strangely elusive. It was probably in 1817/18, and it wasn't in Hunts, and as Thomas was probably living in Witchford at that time it's likely the marriage was in Cambs.

I covered some of the ground regarding Daniel on your thread at http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.england.hun.general/1595/mb.ashx including the possible burials of Daniel and Rose, and other possible children born in both Fenstanton and Witcham.

I'm sure Edy is a shortening of Edith. My great aunt was always known as Edy and it was only when I started doing my family history that I found her name was Edith

Yes, it wasn't uncommon for children to be baptised late, but you need to look at the pattern of baptisms in the family - were the other children baptised at the normal time, is there a gap into which Daniel could have fitted, when did John and Edith marry? But you're getting ahead of yourself; finish one generation before moving back to the previous generation.

Burial ages were often inaccurate, particularly the older the person was. Daniel who was buried in Witchford aged 70 may have been a year or three younger - his wife was already dead and the informant may not have known his exact age.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline anneb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 February 11 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Just to confuse things further-lots of Mary Anns were nicknamed Polly for some reason.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 February 11 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I see that you were given details of Thomas Saberton in your thread of last summer on this board at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,476923.msg3367817.html#msg3367817 so I'm surprised you are still referring to him as Isberton. Perhaps you need to step back, and reread all the information you've been given on this board and the other which I referred to in my previous post today. It might help to clear your confusion which you mentioned in reply #3

And move backwards a generation at a time. Trying to research John and Edy before you've established who and where Daniel married could result in a lot of wasted effort.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock