Author Topic: Whaplode and Whaplode Drove  (Read 12072 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Whaplode and Whaplode Drove
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 20:47 GMT (UK) »
To add to the confusion I have virtually no Smiths in my trees. However, my wife's tree contains several different Smith families.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 March 15 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Does she have any Smiths originating from the Whaplode or St Mary Weston areas of Lincolnshire?
CL
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 March 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
No; All her Smith's originate in the Doncaster area of South Yorkshire, approx 100 miles to the North west, except one family whose origin is in Scotland.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline david.lyon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
In southern Lincolnshire the term "Drove" was a roadway for driving any animals down. but mostly sheep. sheep are the more likley animal, dont need to store so much winter feed and they produce lots of wool year after year'
 david.lyon
Lyon-N Yorkshire, Robson-N E Yorkshire, Evans Staffordshire Durham Gloucestershire.
Smalley-Lincolnshire, Depear-Lincolnshire, Venters-Lincolnshire,Clifton-Lincolnshire

Offline MaltbyNewBrunswick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 August 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
Since the topic is Whaplode and Whaplode Drove, I am searching for my 3 x gr-grandfather, John Sadd, born in or about 1816 in Whaplode Drove  (according to his burial record and headstone, it would be 1816).  His year of birth was garnered from census records, starting with the 1841 census, when he lived in Terrington St John, Norfolk.  On his marriage certificate, it states his father's name was Henry Sadd.  John married Rosamond Banham in 1837 at St John's church in Terrington.

I have scoured the Internet looking for both he and his father but to no avail. He had two daughters, Ann and Edith (Ede), and these names do not figure into wife's family so I thought one of them may be the name of his mother(??).  I do not know of any siblings or relatives.  He owned the Woolpack Inn in Terrington and family of his wife had stayed there but no one relating to John.

I'd appreciate any bit of information one may find.  I'd love to learn more about him and his family and ancestry.

Many thanks,
Heather Holdgate
Whitby Ontario Canada

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
just back from weekend away & babysitting tonight so not home.

will check my CD tomorrow for you,

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Coy family of Scredington, Sutton Bridge, Whaplode Fen and Whaplode Drove
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 January 20 10:52 GMT (UK) »
If anybody has any links with the Coy family who moved from Scredington to Whaplode Fen area and then onto Gosberton, do please let me know.
Searching:
Coy - Cowfield Gould, Gosberton, Lutton, Scredington, Stonesby, Sutton Bridge, Whaplode Fen
Cumberworth
Haresign
Levit
Mackman - Fleet Fen & Gedney Hill
Noble
Pate
Walker