Author Topic: Joseph PAVITT/PAVORD  (Read 13394 times)

Offline RhondaA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph PAVITT/PAVORD
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
John, should have added, I'm just a new member, so can not personal message you as yet. :)

Offline christopherchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to RootsChat, and just came across this thread while trying to sort out Pavitt/Pavord ancestors -- I know it's been several years since the last post here, but I'm hoping some of you who contributed are still monitoring replies.

John -- jmpav -- please see below.  Jean -- gjsaunds -- if you are still tracking Joseph Pavord & Grace Matthews, there is a tree on FamilySearch that may be of interest.  I cannot personally vouch for its accuracy, but Grace (if you click on her name and study the "Person Details") appears to have been born a Matthews, with her mother (re-)marrying a Robert Lynes.  Not sure if I can post an exact URL here, so I'll just give this representation: familysearch (dot) org/tree/pedigree/landscape/KWV3-MHP .

My Y-DNA results connect me with members of the Pafford family in Canada (earliest recorded spelling there: Pavoord), who have been searching for years for their English roots.  We think we've found those roots -- in the line of Thomas Pavord (Sr.) of Barwick, who married Jane Woods.  [Jane is also an apparent relative of mine, through her brother James, but this does not explain the closeness of the Y-DNA results which track only the male-to-male lineage.]

Meanwhile, my 2nd GG William Henry Childs, aka William Childs Pavitt, acquired a stepfather -- widower John Pavitt -- at age 13, in 1825, when his mother -- Ann Chiles/Childs -- finally married.  (John & Ann's family appears in the 1851 census under the spelling "Pavord").  The Canadian Paffords and I have been trying to figure out the exact connection -- i.e., who was the birth father of William Henry, and how was he related (if indeed he was) to the family of Thomas Pavord (Sr.)?

John, if you are by chance still monitoring this thread and you are a direct male-to-male descendant of Thomas Pavord (as "jmpav" seems to hint): have you ever had a Y-DNA test?  It could be immeasurably helpful both to me & my family, and to our Canadian cousins, if you -- a descendant of Thomas -- have had the test done, or are willing to do so.  In the latter case, I would be very willing to help defray the cost, as it could help two families.

I would also love to be in touch with any other Pavord/Pavitt descendants who see this -- in all probability, we are cousins.  My family tree is public at wikitree (dot) com/genealogy/Childs-Family-Tree-1516 , where you will see the surname line come to an abrupt end at Wm. Henry.

All input & suggestions welcome.

Offline RhondaA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 08:06 GMT (UK) »
christopherch; I am a descendant of Eliza, and an Australian cousin. I am forwarding your message to John, (jmpav) he has a lot more knowledge of the family, so hopefully he can assist you. Rhonda :)

Offline christopherchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!!!  The Paffords and I are even more puzzled than previously, as the connection we thought we might have found for them with the Somerset Pavords now looks questionable.  So at this point, all DNA evidence -- but still especially Y-DNA -- is potentially helpful in solving the dual mysteries of the Paffords' English roots, and the actual paternity of my 2nd great grandfather, which is apparently what links me to the Pafford family.

We think that my Pavitt (step-)forebears and the Paffords were perhaps connected in a line reaching as far back as John Pavyot, who owned what became known as Pavyott's Mill, in East Coker, Somerset, around 1280!  You might enjoy viewing the place online -- it's preserved (in its form as of about 1600) as a residence and is quite beautiful; it's for sale, so there are real estate agents' "virtual tours" on the 'net.  One of them can be found at rightmove (dot) co (dot) uk/property-for-sale/property-48865611 (dot) html.  The Mill House is currently owned by English actors Trevor and Tilly (Tremayne) Peacock -- if the BBC series "The Vicar of Dibley" has aired in Oz, you may recognize Trevor's name.  Sadly, he now suffers from Alzheimer's, which I'm sure is much of the reason they're selling the place.

Wish we'd connected before my wife and I made our one trip to Australia & NZ four years ago!  (I also now find that I have Moors family relatives in Oz -- another connection that goes back to the Somerset/Dorset border villages).  If you or John or others wish to contact me directly, I can be reached at christopher_childs (at) earthlink (dot) net.

All the best,    Christopher

Offline Bev campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hello researching  Pavitt/pavord family tree. my gggggrandfather was Joseph pavord of barwick somerset who married Grace Mathews as his first wife 3 July 1792.  remarried on 29 may 1822 to Mary Langdon widower  in the church of England register no 30  on page 10 of Barwick  register  also Joseph was in the military  entered on 17 November 1798  no 195  division of Sherborne resided in Nether Compton  reference no L/A3/9/9 WE HAVE him having died in 1859 Yeovil somerset  Dorset England and buried on 21 Sept 18599 at Barwick Somerset  church of England no 450 page 57 and grace  died and buried in 1821  burial 29 march  1821 at cucklington  somerset  church of England no 58 page 8 . Mary Langdon born 1777 and died 1842  not sure if these are correct. census tells me that Joseph and Mary were living with a son  at some stage cannot put my hand on the  paperwork at the moment   I am from Josephs son's  William  Pavitt who married Elizabeth Hillyer Helliar their son George Pavitt  who  married Ellen Agnes (Murphy Kelly  ) ? to why the two surnames from His daughter Emma Margaret Pavitt who married  Alfred Davis/Campbell son of Charlotte Little  I live on the border of New south wales and Victoria in Australia looking for anyone who can verify the pavord line with dates etc  thanks for reading regards to everyone lovely to meet you all  love to hear from you . regards, Bev Campbell

Offline christopherchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello, Bev! welcome and thanks for joining in --

Just to update my previous: another WikiTree genealogist and I are now exploring the idea that the family of Joseph is -- although the various Pavord and Pavitt spellings seem to become almost interchangeable in the old records -- actually quite distinct, at least for many decades (centuries?) back, from that of the Bradford Abbas Pavitts (my step-forebears).  This stems from our being unable to find a common ancestor anywhere in the (available) records, despite considerable effort.

One implication of this is that it now seems likely the Paffords of Newfoundland are descendants of Joseph's son Thomas (and thus cousins of yours), that my Y-DNA connection to the Paffords also runs via Joseph's line, and that the biological father of my 2nd GG William Henry Childs/Pavitt may have been a descendant of Joseph.  In that case the presence of stepfather John Pavitt (which does not happen until William is about 13) with a surname so close to -- and sometimes spelled identically to -- the Pavords' -- begins to look coincidental.

In any case Fred Pafford and I are hoping that more members of both families will have their DNA tested and will post the results on GEDMatch and Ysearch.  The Y-DNA of direct male descendants of Joseph and son Thomas becomes of greatest interest to our families, but basic autosomal DNA tests like Family Tree DNA's "Family Finder" (whether for male or female descendants) could at least begin to either provide supporting evidence, or begin to refute, the above notion.

I am shortly about to do more research on the Pavord line, which I'll log on WikiTree, and can more confidently talk about Joseph & Grace & family once I've done that work.  Meanwhile I hope RhondaA sees your post and can respond, as I know she's in touch with a cousin in England who has done a great deal of work on the line.

Cheers,     Christopher

Offline RhondaA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
Bev, Hi, I am Rhonda, Pavord descendant  from Thomas 1772, David 1794, Job 1830, Eliza 1860. Eliza married James Bull, which is my mothers line. Whether the two lines are connected I have no idea, but do know that nothing can be ruled out with family research.  Another of Eliza descendants a cousin John, as Christopher mentioned, has done much more work on our Pavord line and so if you would like to connect with him, please email me at rhonda52@netspace.net.au. By the way I am in North Queensland.

Offline Bev campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
hello all again , I figured out that the spelling changed due to the curators of each church changing over time . whilst looking throught the church record in dorset  being barwick  nethercompton and stoford and bradfor abbas it seems that each  curator even in families spelt it different ways eg lucy pavord  born 1801 barwick  and George pavert born 1803  barwick etc down the line of names also came across pavert pavord pavett pavitt  paverd  even in one family it changes. so it seems its the same lineage.

regards bev

Offline Bev campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
also came across a William lord pavitt born 16 oct 1831 in Hallingbury Essex baptised 28 dec 1832 Hatfield Heath Essex page 67 RG4 non conformist register married 16 nov 1854 wimbishsafron walden Essex Probably spelt wrong  wife was sarah ann hill.
also said his father was joseph pavitt mother Elizabeth .
also have a joseph pavitt 1752 barwick married  ann in 1777  died 1859  father Charles  ann born 1754 are these any relations