Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 108447 times)

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
My condolences to you for the sad loss of your dad. I'm so sorry you haven't been able to discover his forbears as yet but hopefully one day they will come to light.

Kind regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 February 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Maddie you are very kind. I went to the family history event in London today and spoke about the dna test that I had done, on my dad's behalf, last year. I upgraded one of the 12 marker matches of another surname to check with my dad's 37 markers. Hopefully something will come out of it. The researcher said that my forebears (re dna) come out of north europe mainly scotland and england. Apparently my dad's dna didn't appear to match with any of the other Goodmans that they had. Well the search goes on.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:40 GMT (UK) »
With some help I now know a little more about 58 Queens Road Watford. This is where I believe George Goodman son of George, my great grand father, was living in 1891. His mother, who was a widow by then, may have returned to Ireland.

In 1887 Sisters of The Third Order of St Dominic, at Harrow on the hill, bought a a site in Queens Road Watford Herts. They built a convent and orphanage. 58 Queens Road became St Vincent's Boys Home and 64 Queen's Road, Westgate House, became St Vincent's Convent. In 1892 the Dominican sisters sold their site in Queens Road and purchased a site in the newly developed Percy Road Watford adjacent to the Holy Rood Catholic Church. In 1893 the new premises housed both the convent and their girls school and was then enlarged by the building of a St. Catherine's House for Boys. The girls school appeared to be private. Quite separately, a Board School was started for Catholic children with entirely lay staff, with the parish priest as the Reverend Manager.

George's mother was a Catholic therefore on the 1891 census at 58 Queens Road this does look like George. I hope this information may assist someone else as I had previously looked at info re St Catherine's House for boys and had not associated it with 58 Queen's Road as the areas are not exactly close to each other.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 March 12 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

For background ............
64 Queens Road is the (old) Hammonds shop
58 Queens Road looks like the "wine/beer" (+pizza?) shop
(Use Google Streetview?)

The distance between the Percy Road site and 58-64QR is around 200-250 yards
Much(most?) of the properties between have been replaced.

Assuming, that is, the road has not been re-numbered.

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 March 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you considered the Goodman family in Flaunden?

George is "Correct Age"
Registered Hemel Hempstead
Flaunden is quite close to Rickmansworth.
Maybe George got used to saying the "nearest town" as the place of his birth.

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 April 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
My ggrand father George Goodman served as a British soldier in Clonmel, Ireland as I have previously mentioned. Recently the soldiers barracks in Clonmel, Kickham Barracks, has ceased to be. It served for 350 years making Clonmel a well known garrison town. Apparently there was a very touching soldiers marching out ceremony through the town. I mention the above as I know that there has been some interest in Kickham Barracks from rootschat members in the distant past.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 April 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ray I have just seen your comments and thank you. I realize that I am not too good at using rootschat correctly. I also looked at the off licence re 58 Queens road and agree if the numbering is still correct it is one and the same. It is interesting to know the whereabouts of the 64 Queens Road. I do know that shop and have passed it many times. The George at Queens road is the son of my ggrand father who was George also. I have got the birth cert for that George in 1881 Rickmansworth. The problem there is where he went after Queens road.

With reference to my ggrand father born 1848 approx, I did think about the Flaunden connection at one stage although if I remember correctly the age difference was too great for the George born in Flaunden. George senior mentioned that he was born in Rickmansworth twice. In 1871 when enlisting in the army, papers now destroyed, and in the 1881 census. His enlistment age of 22 years eight months and his death age of 39 years all seem to point to 1848. However my problem is no birth registered.

Offline A Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 June 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
I too have been looking for information on the Convent Of St Vincent, Percy Road, Hertford and have just come across your enquiry.  I found a reference to it on Images of England and also through The Church of the Holyrood Watford.  I hope this might be of help to you.
I am new to Rootschat, so have only just seen your posting from March.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 June 12 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you A. Hunter for your reply and welcome to roots chat. Yes I have seen similar reference re holy rood etc. Difficulty now is trying to find any records of possible baptism details. I wrote recently to the catholic library in London and in the past and again recently to various churches. Barnet was suggested as a parish whereby records may be stored. I wrote in 1999 to the priest at the time and it appears records are not kept there. I may try again as the present parish priest may now have more information.