Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 110179 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #639 on: Saturday 08 September 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Antiqueone, thank you for your message. I am always delighted to hear from any Goodman researcher. It was very kind of you also to share those links. I may have already mentioned, on this thread, that I had my dad's DNA tested. It was some years ago; he has since died.  There is a Goodman project on that, American company, DNA site.
I have confirmed the Rickmansworth Goodman connection with DNA and document evidence.
With my great great great grandfather, Thomas Goodman b.1766, I have not been able to confirm any connection to Wiltshire; despite having the census reference.
It did seem strange to me that my Goodman family, DNA, did not appear to match with any other Goodman families in ‘the Goodman project’. There were very few matches with any surnames. Although, I am aware that, at that time, most of the Goodman families tested were likely to be American citizens. However, as you are aware, some Goodman families, from England, emigrated to America and other places.
I later had the rickmansworth person’s, kindly donated, DNA tested.
Later another Goodman agreed to be tested. He, unlike my ancestors, appeared to have several DNA matches on the basic level; with different surnames but unfortunately not a match with my ancestors.
Then I discovered that a son of Thomas named his child George Hale Sloper Goodman. That offspring died without having children himself. Therefore, the name, having suddenly appeared,  disappeared again.
I have contacted Hale Sloper family researchers but I am unable to establish a connection. There were Sloper families in Wiltshire and a Reverend Sloper in Hertfordshire at one stage. I believe that it was not unusual, at that time, for a child to be named after a godfather.
My not finding a Goodman Wiltshire connection could be because the line was broken somewhere, because of perhaps illegitimacy.
That is where I am stuck, sorry to say.
It sound like you have made great progress with your Goodman research. Good luck in the future.

Offline antiqueone

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
My Goodman links are rather ancient Ann Goodman married John Pearce in 1773 and she was my 5x Great Grandmother and I've managed to trace Goodmans back to my 8x Great Grandfather so I would very much doubt that my DNA would show any links to Goodmans. Luckily my Goodmans were farmers and they all left wills.
Green Kingsthorpe Northamptonshire, Dunkley Brington Northampton, Bunting Long Buckby Northamptonshire, Haycock Hellidon Northamptonshire, Osmond Hungerford Berkshire, Major Stockbridge Hampshire, Liddiard Eastbury Berkshire, Spackman Bromham Wiltshire

Offline Val_555

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: Monday 14 February 22 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From the 1851 census I see Daniel Taylor, father, aged 69 born Kempton Hampshire, Sophia Taylor, mother, aged 56 born Hatfield Hertfordshire, Daniel Taylor, son, aged 24 born Chelsea & William Goodman Taylor, son, aged 21 born Chelsea.

The marriage for Daniel & Sophia is on Family Search.
 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NKNZ-4PJ

I'm assuming William was given his mothers surname for his second name as there's no reason to suspect he was born out side of Daniel & Sophia's marriage. :-\

Unfortunately I can't see any records for Hatfield or near by on FS to find Sophia's parentage so it might be worth you contacting Herts Archives & Local Studies, (HALS)

As our Goodman's are in the Rickmansworth & Watford area of Herts I don't think there is likely to be a connection but you never can tell. :)

Maddie

Hi
I am tracing my Taylor family roots and found this thread - you were all very busy! I know the area well as I still have my mother and brother in that part of the UK.  :)

My 3rd great grandmother was Sophia Goodman, born 1795 in Hatfield, Herts, married to Daniel Taylor.  The census handwriting is a bit vague - could be Kimpton (somewhere near Watford) Herts, or Kempton, Hants.

Any help would be much appreciated!  My tree is available on Ancestry if that helps anyone!

Thanks in advance

Val

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val, sorry but I am unable to offer any insight. I note that Maddie has replied to you; if there was any connection to my lot she would have found it! Good luck with your research.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: Sunday 17 December 23 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas to all Hertfordshire roots chatters. Hopefully we will all have some luck in our research in 2024.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: Sunday 31 March 24 16:01 BST (UK) »
Happy Easter everyone. Thinking of how different our ancestors would have celebrated. Beautiful Easter bonnets for a start!