Author Topic: George Slicker (schlicher)  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Edd L

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Slicker (schlicher)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Troy thank you for your message I have found Louis he is the Son on George senior who was born in Germany 1834 and came to Dublin  in 1849, he lived in Chancery Lane, Wood Quay at number 13 and was a guesthouse proprieter and Barrel Organ owner. It was his Son Louis that is my great grandfather. this would make us cousins I think. please contact me if you have any info on Louis Life, thanks for your help all the best Edd

Offline kellydynasty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 July 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Troy thank you for your message I have found Louis he is the Son on George senior who was born in Germany 1834 and came to Dublin  in 1849, he lived in Chancery Lane, Wood Quay at number 13 and was a guesthouse proprieter and Barrel Organ owner. It was his Son Louis that is my great grandfather. this would make us cousins I think. please contact me if you have any info on Louis Life, thanks for your help all the best Edd
Hi Edd L, my Great grandfather Peter Kelly shows up on both the 1901 and 1911 census as living at the Lodge House that your great great grandfather owned. I have a birth Cert of my grandfathers which shows his father (peter kelly)'s occupation as Organ Grinder! At first I thought this was a mistake, then I stumbled upon him in the census. He must have been thought by George or louis at that house. Do you have any more info of the lodge house or the area, any photos?

Offline Edd L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 July 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
hi Kelly im sorry i do not have any photos at the moment if i do get any i will post them to you. Edd

Offline troymaclure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 July 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Kellydynasty,

are you sure that its the same peter kelly, in the 1901 census hes 16 the peter kelly in 1911 is 24
this was my great great grand fathers house I dont have any photos either ,still trying to track some down
I know Georges sons thought music at some stage in waterford and one of them stayed in lodgings in dunlaoghrie (kingstown) as an organ grinder by the next census they were all coal delivery men obviously more money at that, organ grinding died with the on set of the wireless, modern technology eh.
troy

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
George and Rosanna Schlicher were both witnesses to the marriage of Francis Gaspurd (Gasparro) and Kate Doyle of 14 Chancery Lane in 1876

Offline troymaclure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Dathai
Fyi, george sliocher was a musician too chancery street was home to alot of immigrants ( george was german)
They had an annual festival on the street for some time I believe where all the accordian players used to congrgate and play george later owned one of the houses along chancery street which he ran as a guest house alot of musicians stayed there check it out in 1911 census

Doug Royal

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Yes Francis and Joseph Pacelli were musician's before they appeared on the 1901/1911 census as confectioners and the 3 Gasparro brothers Francis,Nicholas and Anthony the same.

Thank's
Dathai

Offline troymaclure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 April 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Dathai
Would pacelli have been anglicised to patchell?
By any chance

Doug

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 April 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Doug
            i dont think any names for the Pacelli's were anglisised,Francis had two sons all male's from these lines still use the proper spelling.
You will see the odd Picilli and other variations but this would be down to mid wives who registered the children as they would have understandably have had a strong Italian accent and very little English as they came to Dublin between 1880 and 1890 possibly via Scotland where their siblings lived in the 1890s
Joseph Pacelli had a tough oul time married in 1894 wife died by 1898 and a daughter Philomena 1899  he had 3 daughters 2 here in Dublin and one possibly born Scotland as she is registered there.
His daughter Philomena did not appear on the 1901 census and there does not appear to be a death recorded for her however after much fiddling with the Glasnevin index and going through the alphabet i found her buried there aged 2 in 1899 as Flumina Pacelli so you can imagine a grieving Italian trying to get the name Philomena across to an Irish undertaker,other than this i dont appear to be missing anybody through change of name.

Dathai