Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 86940 times)

Offline Weejojo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #135 on: Sunday 30 September 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for any help as to find a grave in St Kentigern's section 12. L 256 either B or C can't make it out .  Does anyone know if this section has a lot of headstones as I have no idea how to find it. I would really luv to get a headstone if not.  I have a map of the section but unsure how big it is.  Here would lay my great grandmother Rose who died in 1942 and my my uncle John at 3 days and a cousin Robert of 6 months.  With 9 siblings i think it was whoever had space and family scattered all over the place.  I would really appreciate any help or advice.  Many thanks
Joanne

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Monday 07 January 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if anyone can help?  Can anyone tell me how I can I go about getting the lair number etc of a grave in St. Kentigerns, I understand my grandmother is buried there but have no other information.

Many thanks in advance.

Jay
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
The Family History section in the Mitchell Library has the burials for St Kentigern's.  Assuming you know a date of death you can visibly examine the records which are in date order and look through the days after the death.   That will give you the lair number and location.

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for any help as to find a grave in St Kentigern's section 12. L 256 either B or C can't make it out .  Does anyone know if this section has a lot of headstones as I have no idea how to find it. I would really luv to get a headstone if not.  I have a map of the section but unsure how big it is.  Here would lay my great grandmother Rose who died in 1942 and my my uncle John at 3 days and a cousin Robert of 6 months.  With 9 siblings i think it was whoever had space and family scattered all over the place.  I would really appreciate any help or advice.  Many thanks
Joanne

The sections are not too large, but many headstones are missing.   You could contact the staff at the cemetery office.   They will be able to establish the exact location of the lair.   I did this myself some years ago and made an appointment to go up and a staff member took me to the lair.  Unfortunately, in my case, no headstone.

Hope this helps.

Offline Skateraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 10 January 19 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too am looking for a map of the lairs in Section 3 of St Kentigern’s RC Cemetery, Glasgow. My grampa, John Ring, is buried in Lair 442, Section 3 (Reg No 11441) and I'd like to visit it next time I'm back in Glasgow.

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Thursday 10 January 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too am looking for a map of the lairs in Section 3 of St Kentigern’s RC Cemetery, Glasgow. My grampa, John Ring, is buried in Lair 442, Section 3 (Reg No 11441) and I'd like to visit it next time I'm back in Glasgow.

Here is a map showing the sections.   If you are their during the week you can ask cemetery staff who may be able to help locate the lair.  If not go to the section and look at some headstones where you should find a lair reference enscribed on the side or edge

Hope that helps

https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Documents/St%20Kentigerns%20Cemetery%20Plan.pdf

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thursday 10 January 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »

Hi
There's a Robina McCann, died Govan in 1927, age 1

Hopefully be found buried in St. Kentigern's cemetery in the north of Glasgow section, 6 lair, number  744, class A , registration 7663 .

If I've got this right (no guarantee!) here's the lair book with that (need to be logged in)
Robina, 16 April 1927
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ9-19PS-H?i=813&cat=1321853

Register of lair owners - James Murphy, seems to tie in with the burial of Rose Ann Murphy in October 1908
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ9-Y9JQ-L?i=576&cat=1321853

Thank you for posting these links.  I never knew FamilySearch had these online, and although not indexed I have been able to trace a lot of info for my relatives.  Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

Offline Skateraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Thursday 10 January 19 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, I knew where section 3 was, I just wondered if there was a plan/layout available indicating the location of the lairs there. Thanks for the info on the Lair Book, appreciated!

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Thursday 07 February 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Following some help I received via this thread I accessed the non indexed images on line at FamilySearch.   Most records for St Kentigern's are available, but there are four films not yet uploaded online.    I have made a request via FS for these to be scanned and put online.  No guarantee it will happen tho I cannot see copyright or privacy being an issue as more recent records are already available on FS.   If they appear I will post on here.

Requested records :-
Daily interment books, 1882-July 1909, British Film 1574797
Daily interment books, July 1909-March 1926, British Film 1574798
Daily interment books, March 1926-September 1943, British Film, 1574799
Daily interment books, September 1943-July 1967, British Film, 1574805

Andrew