Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 87089 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 September 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Agree, Tricia  :) A new separate post would probably be best.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave McGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 September 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
My father drew up the original plan for the plots in St Kent's for his father Francis McGlynn (superintendant).  He would have been interested to see this map, though he is now part of it.
     Great post.  Anybody thinking of visiting should check the Mitchell Library as they have the lists for St Kent's.  It will generally give you name, date of death, and age.   Interesting for yong children dying who may not appear on other records.
      This was built in the country and my grandfather was buried at the edge, on the hill to avoid the swampy areas.  It now has houses backing on to it.
      Note that unlike today these older plots were for 8 bodies not 6.  Many were gifted to the church where there may have been a husband and wife with no children, or they lived further afield.  You may look at the grave with a different name on it although you have a plot number for your relation.  Note that the people buried in others plots were usually on the Poor Law and the Mitchell again has the old Poor Law books with a Computer reference.
                     regards, Dave McGlynn

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 September 11 18:09 BST (UK) »
Very interesting information Dave, thanks.

My paternal grandparents are interred here but not in the same grave. My grandfather died from war wounds whilst home on leave during The Great War, and is buried in a Commonwealth War Grave. (My granny subsequently re-married and is with her 2nd husband).
About 22 years ago I wrote to Glasgow Cemeteries Dept (at that time in the Trongate) asking for details of my grandfather's last resting place, supplying his exact date & place of death, next of kin and parents names. They charged me a fortune (back then) and then told me there was no record of him being there. I then wrote to the War Graves Commission, down in Kent I think (before the era of websites and emails) and got a reply by return of post with the grave and section number, free of charge.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 September 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
Lodger - if you don't mind me asking, is your grandfather amongst those listed on the Scottish War Graves Project's site?

As you probably know, I've trekked the length & breadth of St. K's to try and find not only the CWGC stones, but the family stones for men and women killed in action etc.

I'd hate to think I'd missed him!

http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=139&highlight=kentigerns&mforum=scottishwargraves

Anne

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 September 11 20:09 BST (UK) »
Anne,

There never was a stone at his grave, I've no idea why or what the criteria was to have a stone erected but, he is commemorated on the large memorial in the cemetery. (I discovered that quite by chance).

Lodger
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 September 11 20:23 BST (UK) »
Oh that's a shame.

As his name is on the 'Screen Wall', it means his grave was in a Common Ground part.

BUT, if you look closely at the photos of the screen wall on SWGP, you'll see each name has a reference beside it. These numbers are the lair numbers, so I would imagine you could find out exactly where he is. St. K's burial records are usually very good and there's a Register of Burials in Common Ground held at the Mitchell Library.

If you like, PM me his name and I can send you a close-up of the name panels (including close-ups of each individual) where you could see the reference more clearly.

Anne

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 September 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
As I have already mentioned, the CWGC gave me the lair details and I have been to visit the plot which, I can assure you, as I did ask at the time, is not common ground (I wonder how it could be when it was purched by the CWGC?). As for the photographs, I took some about 10 years ago of the memorial (I understand it has since been replaced) so I wouldn't require any more. I seem to remember that there were only about a dozen or so names on the memorial, so I think you must be refering to some other memorial when you talk about a Screen Wall. I haven't been to see that one.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline dave McGlynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 September 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
For the Lodger,
      There was no criteria for a gravestone.  Like today you had to pay for it and most people would not think of putting one up as they knew where the grave was and visited at the annual mass.
      My own grandfather's was a stone that fell off a sarcophagus and his son Charlie who was working there had it engraved for the price of a packet of cigarettes.   
  Try the Church of the Immaculate Conception who may have St Mary's records which may give you more information.  At least they will know where the records are.
                       Regards, Dave.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 26 September 11 07:00 BST (UK) »
This wee photo is the 'Screen Wall' in Section 5. The title 'Screen Wall' is the name CWGC give to these types of memorials.

Thankfully the fir trees around it have been recently cut down.

I meant no offence/disrespect about your grandfather's lair. Many CWGC burials were in Common Ground and even then, the rule about no stones being allowed was upheld.

Next door in Lambhill, there are a good few CWGC stones bearing the inscription 'Known to be buried (elsewhere) in this Cemetery' - these stones have been erected but do not actually mark the graves/lairs as these burials were in common ground, so the stones simply commemorate the person and the place of their burial.

I would get in touch with CWGC and enquire why there was never an individual stone. New/replacement stones are erected all the time due either to maybe an existing family stone toppling/becoming illegible or to new discoveries - i.e. 'non-commemorated' or 'in from the cold' personnel who have been found to have been buried in 'X' location but have previously had an 'unknown' burial location on CWGC's database.

Anne